clutch life left?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
JimmyC

clutch life left?

Post by JimmyC »

Is there a way to measure how much life I have left in my clutch plate? without taking everything apart? I have hazy recollections of looking at how far the slave cylinder came out in British sports cars with hydraulic clutches.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
rmel
United States of America

Re: clutch life left?

Post by rmel »

If it doesn't slip and engages normally -- with a little "Grab", why worry about it?

It's not going to wear down in thickness per se, but more build up a glaze or burnished
surface and loose it's grip, slip and stink :wink:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Go by pedal feel. I replaced the clutches in both of my trucks recently. Before the new clutches, both of them had long pedal travel and engaged/disengaged at the "top" of the pedal stroke.
Now with brand new clutches, they both engage down at the "bottom" of the pedal stroke and require a much shorter amount of pedal travel.
Both clutch discs were worn down to the rivets when they were replaced but were still working just fine with no slippage.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Interesting! That worn and still no slip. Hmmm, good to know.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Pinzcat
France

Post by Pinzcat »

Both clutch discs were worn down to the rivets when they were replaced but were still working just fine with no slippage.
Sorry to be a little less enthousiastic: during my last journey in Iceland, my clutch was worn out and was terribly slippery. I couldnt drive any more and I had to order and change the disc to complete the journey. It was worn about one millimeter over the rivets.
Before the new clutches, both of them had long pedal travel and engaged/disengaged at the "top" of the pedal stroke. Now with brand new clutches, they both engage down at the "bottom" of the pedal stroke and require a much shorter amount of pedal travel.
Exact! I confirm.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

The pedal travel method can work but remember a clutch can mostly wear in two ways, because it has two parts. The pressure/springs part can weaken for one reason or another, and your driven plate can wear down as well. I've seen someone replace just one or the other before but personally think you should do both at once.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:The pedal travel method can work but remember a clutch can mostly wear in two ways, because it has two parts. The pressure/springs part can weaken for one reason or another, and your driven plate can wear down as well. I've seen someone replace just one or the other before but personally think you should do both at once.
I agree. Since you're already in there, you might as well replace ALL of the clutch parts. (disc, pressure plate, bearings, clip)