piece axle boot attaches onto

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
JimmyC

piece axle boot attaches onto

Post by JimmyC »

The sheet metal ring the axle boot attaches to has pulled away from the front diff housing on my 710. When I look at the parts book it looks like the part that pulled away is only a portion of the part you can buy. Both parts are sheet metal and cylindrical. It looks like the part that pulled away is pressed into the other part like a seal is set in a bore. There are traces of some glue or sealant or something. My intention is to clean the two pieces up and reassemble with Locktite 648.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

To change the part requires pulling the outer axle. I have not looked at this too hard, but it looks like a big job. Can anyone tell me how hard it is and how long it takes to R & R the part?

Jimmy
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: piece axle boot attaches onto

Post by Jimm391730 »

Same thing happened to my 710M years ago (8-10 years? I can't remember). Talking to Jim L, it was decided to try high strength Locktite without disassembling anything beyond moving the boot out of the way. IIRC, I used wicking grade Locktite after I had cleaned up as much of the surfaces as reasonably possible and gently tapped the ring back into place, then added more wicking Locktite to the seam for good measure. It has held so well I had forgotten about it. After all, if it doesn't work you haven't hurt anything. Best of luck.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have it apart now and it cleaned up pretty well. It looks like the bellows is to keep the dirt off of the real seal and the real seal seems to be OK.

The metal strap that keeps the wheel from dropping too far has recently failed on this corner. I think when it did the axle went a bit to far and that is what caused this part to fail.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

we have dealt with that issue on many of our trucks. The best fix that has lasted for us has been to use locktite and a VERY little love with a mig welder (best done by a qualified tech) in three locations around the flange. Needs to be very small tack so as not to impede the installation of the axle boot. this method has not failed on any of our applications and we have lots of use on the trucks.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

4x4Pinz wrote:we have dealt with that issue on many of our trucks. The best fix that has lasted for us has been to use locktite and a VERY little love with a mig welder (best done by a qualified tech) in three locations around the flange. Needs to be very small tack so as not to impede the installation of the axle boot. this method has not failed on any of our applications and we have lots of use on the trucks.
Ditto.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com