How to install split boots

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Rookie
United States of America

How to install split boots

Post by Rookie »

I know its pretty straight forward but i dont want to miss any steps this is my first pinz its a 1973 712m and im replacing all the boots that i got from sav i want to see if anybody has some pointers to give me. As i have never done it.ive read some posts of putting super glue on the boots during installation just wanted to check with u guys before i mess up a boot .i would like to know the correct way of installing them thanks again.
rmel
United States of America

Re: How to install split boots

Post by rmel »

Did the split boots come with any hardware? e.g. "limiting screws" and a tiny tube of glue.
The limiting screws are to prevent over tightening into the rubber and potentially causing
damage. The glue is for the seam you bolt together. That's the only place that needs gluing.
Just make sure all surfaces are clean and that should do it.
Last edited by rmel on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

I did get the screws but no glue what glue should i use one that is compatible with rubber
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Contact SAV and get the correct glue to use. Yes, it's specific, though I do not remember the number.

When I've done split boots, I've found that when you try to slide the boot in place, the glue often won't hold the end of the seam. To avoid this, I let the glue set up, then I slide the boot into place and clamp it down.

Be sure to pay attention to the alignment of the seam. It's meant to be in one direction when viewed from the wheel. From what I can tell, this is to allow for the offset flex of the axles in the differentials.

Also, every time I've bought split boots from SAV, they came with a very clear page of instructions. If you didn't get one, I'd ask them about it. If all else fails, I might be able to dig up an old copy in my parts boxes. But if I were you, I'd ask them first.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The recommended glue is from Wurth, Speed Fix Single Shot Glue (0.5g), you can get it here:
http://www.shopwurthusa.com/wurthstoref ... /p/0893093

Ain't cheap, none of their products are :(

If you paid a premium for the boots to inc. the glue ask them to ship it out,
but don't accept any questionable substitutes :?

ron
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Loctite 414 is the equivalent and I've used it quite a few times with great results. Just don't get it on your fingers! It's one of the fastest and strongest superglues I've ever used.
shpicfile.php.jpeg
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

So guys thanks for the responses I really appreciate that .also do the boots go a specific way I did not know that.the part where the bolts go does that go horizontal or vertical
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Here are the instructions as provided by Swiss Army Vehicles:
SAV Split Boot Installation.jpeg
SAV Split Boot Installation.jpeg (780.77 KiB) Viewed 5032 times
In the final line of the directions they are referring to the tightening bolt on the clamp. It needs to be 180 degrees from the seam on the boot.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

Iv used welding clamps, vice grips with flat plates instead of jaws. Glue then clamp. Go inside and go bathroom or eat. Come back and finish installation. Gives plenty of time for glue to set. I also put a dab of silicone on corners of seam where boot meets axle when I'm done. In case glue leaves a tiny gap.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I am surprised that the service bulletin specifies "glue". I dont have a Pinz but a Haffie and have split boots on it which look basically the same style as those on the Pinz. I assume that when glued it makes it almost impossible to remove the split boot without wrecking it. On my Haflinger I have had to remove my boots a few times for other work and would have got real expensive if I had to replace them each time - they are not cheap.

I coated all faces with silicon RTV - in fact the same as I use on gasket faces elsewhere on the vehicle - I found that when used on the boots it seals and dries to a flexible joint that is easily pulled apart. so the boot can be used over and over.

garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Guys thanks for all your help got the boots in this weekend it was simple just first time working on these my Hmmwv has boots but I replace the whole cv axle so it makes it easier.never had to tackle just replacing the boots.i did find a little oil in 2 of the boots not much but I will have to tackle this also now it is a 6x6 guys but it is fun having a custom muffler installed tomorrow. Thanks again guys