What would cause a portal to puke fluid?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

What would cause a portal to puke fluid?

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Hey gang,

I was in a parade this AM at the request of our local law enforcement agency. When I got home I put it up on the lift and started checking/topping off all fluids from front to rear in preparation for the drive down to Mogfest next weekend. When I got to the rear I turned around and noticed that the entire back of my passenger side rear tire had pink fluid (I run Redline Shockproof) that had pushed out from the portal wheel gear drive. the only moisture I saw was from around the upper drain plug. However, when I checked the plug it was still tight and hadn't been touched in several weeks, since the last time I had changed the fluid. I've driven it a lot since then and had no issues..

Thoughts on what the likely cause is? How far and deep do I start tearing into it at this point with Mogfest just around the corner.. I'm going to be bummed if this causes me to miss it again this year.. ugh.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Re: What would cause a portal to puke fluid?

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Finally found a combination of search terms that are yielding some good info, sounds like my diff seal is leaking causing diff fluid to get down into the portal and displace fluid.. Not a quick fix. Looks like Mogfest is out for me. Sigh.

Ben
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Did you already rule out a leaky wheel drive seal?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Looks like Mogfest is out for me. Sigh.
Nah, just fill the diff and drain out the excess from the hub. Repeat when you get to Mogfest. Worry about it when you get home.

But it does depend on how much fluid is left in the diff. Check the level and see how much it takes to get it back to "full". If it only takes a few ounces or so, then there is plenty in the diff and I'd say go. If the diff is almost empty, well, that's another story.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

what I would guess from your description is that you were driving the pinz and then found a water crossing. Crossed it then continued on your way. this little splash (drastic change in temperatures) caused a minor hub seal failure and will need to be addressed at some point in the near future. If the differential is still full and the portal is down just a bit then top off the portal and have your fun at mogfest. When you get back tear down the portal and replace the seal. Seems playing in water with a hot seal makes them weep just a little for a short time, this is also an indication that the seal is getting tired and needs to be replaced. It may even stop leaking for a short time but will come back with a vengeance.
The differential seal while a problem is less common then people have been led to believe. Seems there was a time when people were putting the trucks together wrong after repairs but that has stopped for the most part.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Thanks for all the assistance in troubleshooting. Haven't been through any water crossing (aside from a couple of mostly dry creek beds with an 1" or 2" of water..).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Coincidently, there is a link to an Expedition Imports video on how to replace the hub seal just above this thread. If that's the culprit, the leak might have also oiled your brakes on that wheel too.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

ScottD wrote:If that's the culprit, the leak might have also oiled your brakes on that wheel too.
If the brake shoes are indeed oiled, then you should inspect the little passage that runs from the inside of the brake mechanism area through the brake backing plate and exits toward the center of the vehicle and make sure it's clear. It's intended (I believe) to allow any lube that leaks past your seals to exit the brake mechanism area - instead of oiling the shoes.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me