Tire Chains for a 712K

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
baycrossing
United States of America

Tire Chains for a 712K

Post by baycrossing »

I'm looking at chains for snow/ice this winter. All my 4x trucks always got chains all around. I was about to take the same approach with the Pinz. I’ve searched tire chains in the forum and found some good info, but nothing on the subject of full or just rear chains for the 6x6. Any thoughts on that subject?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Tire Chains for a 712K

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I know I live in a desert but we go play in the snow when we can. With the 712's we find that chains on the front only works as well as any other setup in most driving conditions. That is of course when you actually need them on a 712. The 710's respond very well once fully chained.
montieth
United States of America

Re: Tire Chains for a 712K

Post by montieth »

my 2 Pf....
While not a Pinz but I've had my M35A2 2.5 ton chained up for ice on roads down here in Georgia. Two different ice storms we had.

Chains on the front axle and rear axle worked great. The intermediate axle was left unchained. I had no stability issues and traction was great. The truck accelerated up icy hills and stopped nicely. Chains on the middle axle set would have given more traction, and if I'd been hauling a heavy load, probably ideal to add. But with a mostly empty truck, I'd say it's quite good doing just the front and rear. Spend the cost of a 3rd set of chains on chain repair tools and getting better heavier duty chains.

I had enough drive time in them that I wore the set of chains down to near worn out status on the cross links.
Ryan Gill
15 Recce Re-enacting Group

1943 Humber Mk IV Armoured Car
1947 Jeep CJ2A basket case
1960 Daimler Ferret
1972 AM General M35A2
x2 M514 1Ton2Wheel Trailer