Torque Tube removal...inspection

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
berger
Canada

Torque Tube removal...inspection

Post by berger »

Morning!

In showing my truck to potential buyers (I have been upfront about the noise I am hearing), it occurred to me that the issue I am experiencing may actually be within the torque tube. How "common" are bearing, gear, shaft issues within the tube and is it fairly easy to remove? What does it sound like when a part within the tube starts to go?

I am having second thoughts about selling this truck now....and every time I pull it out of the garage now I am thinking...keep it and restore it!! :D

Thanks!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Torque Tube removal...inspection

Post by stiffler4444 »

Keep it and use it! Mine has dings and dents all over and I'll probably never fix them. As long as it runs good and isn't rusting apart, I figure it's serving the intended purpose. You'll regret selling in my opinion, especially at that price.
1972 710m
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

There really isn't anything inside of the main tube - just a driveshaft. The support bearings are at the ends and are attached to the differentials in what is referred to as the "witch's hat" as it is cone shaped.

Typically the main tube is left attached to the body when the front or rear diffs are pulled off - but I've heard if you plan to rebuild both then pulling the body might be a better option. I've only pulled my rear t-case/differential so have always left the rest in place.

As long as the oil is clean without to much metal fillings I would drive it. If the noises get worse I would start by pulling the rear end and checking the bearings and removing the internal driveshaft (what used to be called "lightening" the driveshaft) as that can reduce the rumble in my experience.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I would pull your ad immediately!
Your selling at a loss esp with the great upgrades you’ve done.
If I had space I would have bought it at that price!
Even if you store it for a few years, just prep the gas some and it’s bound to fire right back up.
People are going to try and low ball you even more because of the full disclosure your providing, which is comendible!
Just my 2 cents worth
Regardless, if you do sell, someone is going to get a great truck
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

How do the bearings in the tube get oil? I have never read of any service procedure to add oil or service.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The bearings are not in the tube, they are in the witches hat, and it has seals to prevent leaking into the tube. The witches hat is part of the diffs or transfer case, the bearings get their oil from those reservoirs.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thx guys. This is a tough noise to diagnose for sure.

Ya, it is a tough call selling Part of the reason is my wife and I are going our separate ways...and I am not sure if I will have the Space for it. Collecting motorcycles takes up much less space!! :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Sorry to hear about your situation.

From my experience - the noise if most likely from the rear bearing in the witches hat attached to the transfer case - it gets beat up by the heavy driveshaft spinning at high speeds. # 34 in the drawing group 03-20

I've replaced that bearing twice - and the last time I did the lightened driveshaft modification which made a big difference in my opinion. Not a terrible project - hardest part is lifting the body up in the air high enough to get the rear end out from under the body.

I've also found that a 1/2 inch thick or so rubber horse mat on the floor in the rear helps to reduce the noise. Worth considering...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Haf-e wrote:Sorry to hear about your situation.

From my experience - the noise if most likely from the rear bearing in the witches hat attached to the transfer case - it gets beat up by the heavy driveshaft spinning at high speeds. # 34 in the drawing group 03-20

I've replaced that bearing twice - and the last time I did the lightened driveshaft modification which made a big difference in my opinion. Not a terrible project - hardest part is lifting the body up in the air high enough to get the rear end out from under the body.

I've also found that a 1/2 inch thick or so rubber horse mat on the floor in the rear helps to reduce the noise. Worth considering...
Thx! That seems very plausible.

What kind of noise were you hearing? Was it at all speeds? The gravelly sound is only there from 1-4...less apparent at higher road speeds...and gone in 5th at anything over 85kph. Smooth as it has always been at highway speed.

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Truck is sold pending funds....

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

berger wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm Truck is sold pending funds....
Congrats, hope it all works out and sorry to hear about your personal situation.
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

TechMOGogy wrote:
berger wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm Truck is sold pending funds....
Congrats, hope it all works out and sorry to hear about your personal situation.
Cheers,
Dan
Thx...for the best. Truly loved the Pinz...but my bikes drew my attention away. My greatest joy was taking the Vets to the Cenetaph on November 11. I will miss that.

I know I could be an impatient arse sometimes on this forum, but learned lots and I hope my tech tips and photos helped others.

Thx guys!

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol