split axle boots

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
acurtis
United States of America

split axle boots

Post by acurtis »

I'm in the midst of replacing two of my axle boots with the split boot kits ( from SAV), and running into some troubles. I got the larger end of the boot attached and hose clamped in, but the smaller end is fighting me. The original hose clamp is just not quite long enough to reach- I'm not sure if I don't have the boot in the right spot on the axle, i.e. should it sit right where the original was on the axle or should it be further out or in ( there is a hump on the axle- not sure if I should be inside, outside or directly on it) or do I just need a longer hose clamp.
rmel
United States of America

Re: split axle boots

Post by rmel »

There's a bit of a lip on the Diff side but I don't recall on on the axle side.
Not sure the attached PIX helps or not and if you have it already. I don't
recall having any difficulty when I replaced one of mine.
Split Boot Installation.jpeg
Split Boot Installation.jpeg (780.77 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
acurtis
United States of America

Post by acurtis »

Thanks rmel,
Interesting diagram, I got the boots on with a little help form a heat gun to soften up the boots. I followed your diagram, and I understand the idea of the screws being at 3 o'clock, so the axle doesn't bind on them, but i'm wondering why they face forward on one side and backward on the other side.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

take a good look at the axle housing. One side is straight and the other has an offset. keep the bolts on the straight side. I don't bother remembering which is which just look at the housing. the offset is due to the interior of the differential. the swing axle design has the axles setup so as not to be in line with each other. An oddity of the pinz drive train is that the axles are offset from each side I don't recall the exact measurement but I think it is about 1.5"