shifter linkage retaining ring

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
CaptainRon
United States of America

shifter linkage retaining ring

Post by CaptainRon »

Hey all, Ron from Colorado here with a 1974 710m. I rehabbed the shifter linkage in the cab, boots, spring etc. When I reassemble it all, the spring needs to be seated under the retaining ring and then the half ball cap put on correct? My original retaining ring broke and I didn't get a good look at it when I was taking it apart. Half the time when I try to put the retaining lock over the spring it slips over the retaining ring before I can get the other ball cap on and clamp it down. I hope this makes sense to someone.....

https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... %20linkage
CaptainRon
United States of America

Re: shifter linkage retaining ring

Post by CaptainRon »

So, the retaining ring on the left is the original and the one on the right is the SAV part included with the shifter kit. The new one doesn't seem to hold the spring consistently, it will come flying back over it if you wiggle it around. Anyone else have this issue? I'm assuming the spring is supposed to stay under this retainer.
Attachments
retainer
retainer
retainercopy2.jpg (880.93 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The original retaining rings are a 2-piece item that interlock with each other to create a complete ring. I have searched but they seem to be no longer available. The clips provided with the "kit" really do not hold well. I've rebuilt 2-3 of these and found some better clips that would stay on. I'll take a look through my spare parts and see if I have some or at least a part number.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
CaptainRon
United States of America

Post by CaptainRon »

Oh wow, that explains it. One of the pieces went flying into garage land. Never even considered that it was two pieces, thank you! I'll start poking around for a bigger fitting or something. Deconstructing the shifter and linkage is like wrestling an alligator covered in grease......been a challenge even without this flying ring..... 8)
CaptainRon
United States of America

Post by CaptainRon »

Hey Paul, I think I found a replacement at Expedition Imports. Thanks for helping me out. If you do come across the product you used I'd appreciate that information as these clips are pretty tough to find.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Hi Ron,
I dug through my old parts but can only find the clips that came with the S-Tec kit sold by SAV - the ones that won't stay on.
I think I bought some clips that worked from McMaster similar to these: https://www.mcmaster.com/products/retai ... ing-rings/
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
CaptainRon
United States of America

Post by CaptainRon »

Thanks Paul,

I really appreciate that.