finding a transmission leak?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
audiocontr
United States of America

finding a transmission leak?

Post by audiocontr »

I have a decent leak that seems to be dripping from the transmission, but i'm unsure. It seems quite high up the bell housing which leads me to believe it may be from the engine dripping down. I've been watching the gear oil levels for the last 3 months and none seem to be low, including the transmission. In fact, the transmission might have a tad too much, as I gave it an additional pump once the fill cap was back on, just in case the leak was there.

The oil pan leaks without a doubt. Is it possible that it may be spraying up and back onto the transmission bell?

I've noticed a small leak where the gear selector enters the transmission. Its very minor, but enough to make it appear wet.

The fluid seems rather thin, without any noticeable odor (Brake fluid, etc). Its slightly brown in color, but that may be dirt as well. Are there seals above the halfway point of the transmission bell (part that surrounds the clutch/flywheel) that are prone to leaking?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Look at the following areas, fuel pump mounting, timing cover,oil filter, oil cooler.
Clean the area with brake cleaner and dry. Next spray aerosol foot powder or powder deoderant around suspect leak areas and test drive till dripping occours. The oil will cause the powder to sag away from the leaking area. follow the sagging powder up and leak is located :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

based on your other post "strange smells" I would take the inspection plate off of the slave cylinder for the clutch. You should be able to see into the bell housing and see if that slave cylinder is leaking onto the clutch and out the drain hole.

Of course Jim has listed the most common leak areas on the pinz and should be looked at closely.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

thanks guys. Is the inspection cover accessible under the transmission panel in the bed or through the cab and under the doghouse?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

through the bed access panel