help

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
dirtgum

help

Post by dirtgum »

hey guys just drove this truck 2400 miles and today i see a new leak coming down from the front of truck directly in the middle. i took a few pics...can anyone here tell me whats going on and what needs to be done?

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

That looks to be coming from the front of the front differential, near where the speedo drive is mounted. I'd guess you've got a seal that's bad there. I've never repaired a front diff, but it's got to be similar to the rear, once you get it out. It seems to me there were a couple of o-rings on each end, IIRC.

When I repaired my rear axles, I pulled them out from the truck to do it. I don't know if this repair can be done on the truck, or if the diff. needs to be pulled out of the truck. My guess is, it needs to be pulled.

Sorry.

Paul
Q

Post by Q »

hopefully just the seals at the speedometer cable/gear (only leak i've had so far and very easy to fix).
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I've had the seals on the steering wishbone leak. Since they are lower, I expect that they are more likely to weep than the speedo cable. It is easiest to replace them if you remove the front frame member, but I've had limited sucess changing them without removing the frame.

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Replace the o-ring at the speedo cable.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'm glad to hear I seem to be wrong. Sorry to have likely alarmed you! Good luck.
dirtgum

Post by dirtgum »

haha well lets make sure of what it is first......im gonna have to wait till this weekend to really start tinkering....i will let you know......

cross your fingers for me
Pinzgauer Pete

Hold on here.

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Firstly begin at the beginning get under this truck and clean and degrease the truck right now there is so much oil all over the place to even guess its source. After everything is cleaned up take it for a drive and then look where the leak is coming from, once that is determined then you will be able to locate the part that needs to be replaced. No point in freakin out yet! regards and post what you find 8)
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

What Pinzgauer Pete said.
I always start by cleaning the oil and grease off so I can be sure where the leak is coming from. Oil really likes to migrate around and can really throw you off.
Good luck,
Paul C
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
dirtgum

Post by dirtgum »

ok so i cleaned everything up and drove it around all day......and the oil is DEFINETLY coming from the Speedo cable!!! thank goodness.....

hopefully i will be able to get it apart tomarow and get a new O ring in there.......

i see something about a chevron type gasket or cup shaped gasket?

you think i need to replace that? and if so where can i get one of those? are they common?

also do i need the loctite?

and last i read something on here about reliving the pressure to get the bolts loose? that mean anything to you guys? and if so how do i relive the pressure?

thanks again!
kpoling
United States of America

Leaking Speedo output

Post by kpoling »

Mine has been leaking for a while. I have the o-ring & seal on order. Looks like it should be a fairly easy fix. The knurled nut that holds the cable to the axle has been tortured a bit by someone else so I am hoping it is OK.
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So I pulled mine outr yesterday and I didn't notice until I got it out that it has a flat spot on the unit...SQUARED off...does that sit towards the pin that goes through so it doesn't turn?

I tried two "O" rings one that was a bit fatter and a thinner one..can't get the fatter one in there but was hoping so it would seal it better.

Talked with a fella that used to sell them here and he said the breather must be clogged...didn't know mine had one, but will look today.

My chevron washer was hooped to so we made one on the lathe but ordered a new one from EI.

SO where does the flat part go boys.......sorry, but when I was getting it out it was stuck so I pryed on her and it came out so fast I didn't notice where it sat in there.

Jer Bear