Sloppy steering

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
audiocontr
United States of America

Sloppy steering

Post by audiocontr »

I've noticed a substantial amount of center freeplay in my steering. Do i simply tighten the adjustment on the front of the steering box? Where do i look for the most common cases of worn parts?
pinzdriver

sloppy steering

Post by pinzdriver »

I would try adjusting the steering first jack up the ft end with wheels off the ground :? adj the gear box so you get a little drag in the center swing from lt to rt :) just fell a little drag :) it will be loose on both ends. If you still have play you need to rebuild the gear box. :D
tony in az 73 pinz 6X6
pinzdoctor is the name,pinz repair is the game!
spandit

Post by spandit »

Drove my new Pinzgauer for the first time today and steering also sloppy. Is the steering box easy to adjust? Could anyone post a picture of what bits to turn?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

You will need a 17mm box wrench and a short L shaped flat head screw driver. The adjustment assembly/screw is located on the very front of the worm gear housing down by the foot pedals. It's a three minute fix.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks - just looked in the manual and it certainly looks easy. On a Land Rover this would take hours!*

* because it would all be siezed and you'd need to drop everything out to drill it
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)