oil in axleboot

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Pols497
United States of America

oil in axleboot

Post by Pols497 »

I noticed I have some oil in my axleboot that is up close to the middle rearend. is this a major job to replace? Any special tools?
Roger Melton
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

The wipe seal has to be replaced. Yes and no. The axle hub has to come off. Front seems harder than rear.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

I did that job and it was pretty easy actually. I assume you have a repair manual and parts book to order the seal and o rings and new boot. If you dont I can scan the pages and email them to you.

This link has pictures of the special tools..they arent really sophisticated and lots of guys jury rig them from turn buckles

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agingman/s ... 886723729/

The hardest part of the whole job for me was freeing the brake line as the fittings were frozen....i ended up cutting and replacing

Letme know if you need those pages
Pols497
United States of America

leaking seal

Post by Pols497 »

thanks Blackstack, I might take you up on it. I am going to try some of the stopleak additive at Napa first.
Roger Melton
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Stop leak. That is a very bad idea!
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

hello Pols497...this item on ebay looks like something you could use and a lot cheaper than the print version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pinzgaue ... ccessories
Pols497
United States of America

leaking seal

Post by Pols497 »

Erik712, please give me your take on this Lucas stopleak oil I want to try first.
Roger Melton
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Roger,

I've never used that product. But in general, I'm skeptical of any of those "Stop-Leak" anythings.

The way I see it, the fluid within the container is meant to 1) stay within the confines, and 2) move around within the confines so as to do it's job. If some product is going to work to prevent the liquid from flowing out, it's also going to effect how the liquid flows within, I assume in a bad way. Then there's the question of getting them out, once you do make the repair.

If I was out in the desert, and could only keep lubricants in by using the stuff, would I? Yes. But I'm not, and the job's not too difficult, and if you're going to own a Pinz, you'd better either live near someone who fixes them or learn how to do it yourself (most of us are the latter).

But then, I'm a stubborn old fart (according to my wife) and maybe that accounts for my opinions. Hopefully Eric or someone else familiar with the Lucas additive will chime in too.

Paul
Pols497
United States of America

leaking seal

Post by Pols497 »

Guys, I'm kinda like you guys on the quick fixes. If this stuff doesn't stop it I will take a weekend and start pulling her down. I just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with this stuff. Thanks for all the valuable input on this.
Roger Melton
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

We had a guy in the local offroad club by a cheap 710 he used is in a axle. I ended up helping tear the axle completely down it seemed to coat every thing in the axle with a Bally slugg.