Apparant gearbox failure

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
cc rider
United States of America

Apparant gearbox failure

Post by cc rider »

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone here could suggest my next course of action with my 712. I moved out of town over a year ago and decided to leave my Pinz at my friend's house. About 6 months ago he wrote me saying that the Pinz was acting funny when shifting out of low gear. The Pinz would shudder sometimes when starting from a dead start, but other times would provide no problem at all.

The problem was intermittent when I came by to visit and see for myself. I had done a clutch replacement the previous year and had wondered if that clutch was the problem. Anyway, long story short, today I was driving it into town and noticed it shuddering almost all the time, whether starting from a dead start or shifting while moving. Finally, the transmission doesn't engage at all although I can move everything into all the gears and could work the clutch. The only gear that worked was when I put the gear shifter into low gear, and then only engaged in fifth gear. I limped it back home and pulled the gearbox to look at the clutch. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, but when we were turning the shaft on the gearbox, we could not get any firm transmission from input to output shaft except in the fifth gear.

So tell me, is my gearbox need a rebuild? I don't have much time to work it and I don't want to poke around in there if I don't know exactly what I'm doing. I have the gearbox in Arizona and could drop it off at a Pinz mechanic near Las Vegas, or would a regular transmission shop be able to tackle this job?

Thanks in advance

Chris
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Chris...box up the gearbox and send it to Jim Laguardia or Dennis from Linden....they can sort it out....a regular trans place can figure out the problem but will not have parts on hand for a pinz.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I would guess you spun the front countergear on the lower shaft.
Be ready to dig into your wallet for this repair. It may be less expensive to find a replacement box if the mainshaft is also damaged.
All the parts are available, but have someone familiar with the unit or more damage can occour on dissassembly.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Profile info would be a start,you mentioned AZ,there are options.......
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
cc rider
United States of America

Post by cc rider »

Located in Flagstaff. There was one guy here who I let work on my Pinz but I was not satisfied with the results.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

AZ has a pinz web site look for a guy named Tony he does repairs in your are. Mark could probably give you his email.
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

I have one rebuilt box and one New box sitting on the shelf. Drop me a line for pricing if needed. (Last time I did a complete rebuild the costs for parts/labor were as much as a complete unit, just depends how bad it is.)

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."