clutch pedal

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Protoman333

clutch pedal

Post by Protoman333 »

pre-admitting that im not a mechanic, i am needing some help/advice. i searched the board but have had trouble finding pertinent information. i always have this problem though; i never can figure out what the proper search term(s) should be.

anyway, the pinz was parked for a couple weeks. she drove fine when i parked her. went to fire her up yesterday and the clutch pedal was weak; it does not appear to actuate anything. i can easily move it in and out with my hand and can feel very little resistance. ive had a small leak somewhere (so small that the fluid requires a top off every few months, nothing drastic) but have yet to determine where that might be.

my question is: what is the first step to determine whats gone wrong, or does anyone know (from the symptom) offhand what the problem is?

also, if anyone wants to fly into Tulsa and fix this for me, i will give them 2 turkey sandwiches (on bread of your choice, mayo and cheese upon request) as well as an entire bowl of some green bean casserole BS my parents forced me into taking home.

i hope the question isnt to general...at least its not something about oil or tires...
Chris
'73 710m
spandit

Post by spandit »

Feel around the bottom of your steering column - if it's wet, it might be clutch fluid (I know it's the same as brake fluid!) - that would indicate your master cylinder is leaking.

The slave cylinder is just above the starter motor on the right hand side of the engine - have a look for leaks there. Better still fill it up again and let someone pump the pedal whilst you look (but be careful of drips in your eye!!)

Putting new seals in the master cylinder is not difficult - I presume the slave cylinder is pretty similar but post your findings on here beforehand

HTH

Robin
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

cool, thanks. ill try to get off work before dark and get a decent look at it. hopefully thats all it is...
Chris
'73 710m
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

ok, there seems to be fluid at the fulcrum of the clutch pedal which, in turn, runs down the pedal and drips on the "floor". i couldnt find much on the steering column itself, although there was some grime there indicating that fluid might have previously leaked that direction and accumulated dust/dirt.

so...to review...

there is a little fluid at the connection of the clutch pedal itself, the pedal has little to no resistance and does nothing in the way of actuation, and the reservoir needs topping off every few months to maintain the proper level.

is this enough info to say thats its most likely the master cylinder seals going bad, even if there isnt a puddle of fluid somewhere?

thanks again for any advice and the sandwich offer still stands!
Chris
'73 710m
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Any leaks under the truck?

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

yes, there are leaks...but none are from the clutch.

gear lube? yes.
oil? yes.
brake fluid? a little, but thats from the front left wheel cylinders, not from the clutch.
Chris
'73 710m
locosmith

Where In Tulsa?

Post by locosmith »

I'm in wagoner, I have a 710 messed with it a bit been a mechanic 35 years, maybe I can help if you need some. Let me know. loco
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If fluid is running down the pedal, the clutch master cylinder is leaking. Very easy to rebuild.
Do yourself a favor and do the slave cylinder too :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."