Strange Clutch engadgment

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Malahki

Strange Clutch engadgment

Post by Malahki »

When I picked up my Pinz it was around -15*C (5*f) and after a very slow rough start it took even longer to be able to release the clutch pedal. Even though the vehicle was in neutral it would put enough load to stall the motor every time I tried. I had to slowly keep working the pedal up and down in small increments for several minutes, until eventually I was able to release it completely. By this time I was actually able to smell burnt clutch.

My initial thought was that the rear main engine seal was leaking and had gunked up the bellhousing. However their has been no signs of clutch slippage which I would expect from an oil contaminated clutch. Any other possible causes??
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Strange Clutch engadgment

Post by 4x4Pinz »

sounds like you picked up some surface rust on the face of the pressure plate and flywheel. If you are lucky a little drive time will cure that. If the clutch is not fully disengaging this could also be part of your slow cranking problem.
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

Good point (link added to slow cranking issue http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =12&t=6288).

So how can I verify whether or not the clutch is disengaging completely?
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Best to tear off the tranny and have a look. Just did it and would like to share the fun with others........really it's not that bad.
1972 710m
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

4x4Pinz wrote:sounds like you picked up some surface rust on the face of the pressure plate and flywheel. If you are lucky a little drive time will cure that. If the clutch is not fully disengaging this could also be part of your slow cranking problem.
One thing about the rust theory or clutch hanging up, is it seemed fine when I test drove it a few weeks earlier and it was fine when it drove onto the trailer, in much warmer weather. Although I suppose a small issue could be amplified in the cold weather
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Malahki,
Let's work this backwards ( literally :) )
Chock your tires, and jack one rear tire off the ground. With the trans and t case in neutral, spin the the tire... you may feel a little drag, but turns easily. engage the T case into gear and spin the tire again, additional drag may be felt ( you're moving more shafts and gears). Lastly, with the help of another person, put the trans into gear and put the clutch in...spin the tire again, there should be more drag, but you should be able to turn the tire, if not, something has let loose within the clutch/pressure plate, not allowing the clutch to release. ( make sure you're cluch is working too, you could be depressing the pedal and the slave isn't responding).

And since you have started so many threads on basically the same issue ( Shotgunning), make sure your batteries aren't shot too, under 22 volts, they don't like to start... jumping from another 24v system may be fruitless if a battery has an internal short..... I'd start with the batteries and grounds and connections first. Pinzes are known for the power lead from the alternator to corrode and not charge the batteries, leaving only battery power until there is none left.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Malahki

Post by Malahki »

Thanks for the trouble shooting tips, I will give that a try and report back. Didn't intend to "shotgun" the issues as I did not initially make the connection that the two problems could be related. Although I think adding the links to the topics could be use full in future searches.
Ditchdigger

Post by Ditchdigger »

Have the same problem on my 710k and Landcruiser. The oil in the transmission is too thick on -15c days and will stall out the motor. Landcruiser fixed with synthetic fluid, Pinzy I just take my time on clutch release untill it has run for a bit.