Axel boot Question

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
totaljoint

Axel boot Question

Post by totaljoint »

Just noticed my rear axel boot (the yellow one) is cracked, no oil leaking. Most posts suggest that the one piece boot lasts longer/ more durable than the split boot.
I've watched the EI video on removing the reduction axel so that I can replace the boot with another yellow one (rather than the split one- which is still holding on the other side!). On a 712, once I remove the wheel on the involved axel, will the remaning tire hold up the truck well enough while I pull off the rear one with the cracked boot or is any other support necessary?
Also, It seems a dedicated tool is necessary to pull out the inner from outer axel. A lot of cranking on the video. If it's that hard to get them apart, how do you push all that assembly back together again after the boot is replaced?
Thanks,
Ed
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Axel boot Question

Post by Jimm391730 »

I've removed wheels and tires from the rear of a 712 and the brake drum barely clears the ground, but I've never tried it with the axle out (no support at all from the leaf spring).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have always supported the other axle half. Pulling it apart is not all that difficult especially if you use the pinz jack or a hydraulic ram. The axle half is supposed to be put back on with loctite, the alignment bolt and the clamping bolts. I found removing the leaf spring assembly to help facilitate the removal of the half shafts and not all that difficult. Removing the leafs gives you a chance to check the bearings that are housed in the pads on each end of the leaf. I don't care for the temporary repair of the split boot but the newer ones seem to be holding up when installed properly. Some don't use the solid ones until they have to service the axle, ie wheel bearing replace, seal replace ... etc. Pulling the half shaft is really not that big of a deal once you get one or two behind you. It is good that no oil came out that indicates your wipe seal is still good. There should be no oil in the boot as it is more a dust, mud, water cover for the wipe seal.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

With a crack in the boot and no oil leak, how urgent is the replacement?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If you plan on doing any water/ mud I would say right now would be a good time. How big or what type of a crack are talking about? These boots cover the wipe seal and axle cuff. To replace these when they are damaged is the better part of $250 in parts but you have to take the differential out to do the work. Replacing those items is by far more work than just changing a boot. The boots are really cheap insurance and I don't mind paying for insurance. SAV is selling the new solid boots cheaper than the split boots. They are not the yellow rubber of old but seem to hold up fairly well so far.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Check the old locked site for instructions on replacing the split boots. It is a simple job and the only real issue is the location of the split. Jim had a very good explaination of how to locate the split. I have done several and even I can do it with success.

With a crack in the original boot you may not notice a build up of oil and may not think there is any leaking oil evident. The cracked boot will let in moisture and dirt that can lead to an issue of probable premature bearing wear. Just guessing here. Not an official mechanic by any means.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Has anyone tried these boots:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PINZ-BOO ... ccessories
Some old posts talk of a 3/8 inch gap on boots bought from from ebay a year or so ago, but from a different seller.
Wonder how these fit?
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

My understanding of the split boots is that they are for an emergency type repair. should the original boot be torn while offroading.
That said, they last for years. Until the owner can manage a full repair of the situation, they will work. Get good ones from a reliable source, not the cheap ones from China or where ever.
The split boot is not transparent like the original item and therefore might not be the best answer to keep up with possible leaking of the mechanical parts of the machine.
I used them because I did not have the facilities for a total repair and they were the best answer for me. If one has the facilities, it would be best to do the repair. It will also allow for inspection of possible wear of the internal parts and so much easier to get the repairs done while it is all apart.

Ta Da
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Paul Gudmundson

Post by Paul Gudmundson »

i bought some before off ebay and they suck donkey balls i put them on when i did the upgrades to the rear diff and fixed my oil leaks. my pinny sat for a good year and then i noticed they were all cracked so i had to pull the axle housings and put the not so nice looking stock ones back on. then just last summer one of the stock ones split and since i have 2 extras i have to put one on to replace the stock and now that one is all cracked so i now have to put the last one on and order stock ones. so i would never buy them unless you just need to have a quick fix untill you can pull them apart.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The axle boots are a dust cover. and are to protect from contaminates getting into the exterior moving parts of the swing axles. The solid boots are the perfered repair, BUT not to split the axle housing just for a boot replacement. Though some will say boo on this. but everytime you spread the clamp area will fatigue the metal a little. and the last thing you'll want to buy is an outer axle housing if it cracks. Unless you are partial to playing U-boat commander, a split boot will serve most just fine, just check them regularly that you installed them properly, and haven't shifted.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)