axle boot and wipe seal????

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
waterdog
Paraguay

axle boot and wipe seal????

Post by waterdog »

hello im working on replace the axle boots and noticed an oil leak , i have to fix this before put the new boot,right?.. but i was looking for this"WIPE SEAL" that people talk about (i was doing some search)but i can find the part number for this seal,or is it a "0 ring"??? and search function on SAV or EI sites doesnt show a WIPE SEAL
can you guys show me where to look??? thank you!!!
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: axle boot and wipe seal????

Post by 4x4Pinz »

two common places it could be leaking
the wipe seal http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... 101322512/
or the inner oring http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... o=9013797/
in either case to do the job properly the differential should be split. Some have managed to get the wipe seal in without destroying the outer oring and getting it to seal properly. I guess with enough silicone anything is possible. If the axle cuff is scratched up from lack of a boot then it will need to be replaced or it will just tear up the wipe seal. Again this requires taking apart the differential.

Hope this helps
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Waterdog, a small amount of oil is ok. To replace the leaking part, the portal axle assembly must be removed with special tools. The inner wipe seal is part of the axle stop ring(big metal part that boot clamps to), and then the dust ring goes on before the boot(Rubber donut looking seal).
Not a fun to do repair, most just put on a split boot and monitor for any large leaks.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

ok ,,, sooo, is it mandatory to split the diff..? to reach those seals???,,... from the drawings it looks like its right behind the big metal ring where the boot sits ,and that metal ring comes out with 4 bolts, isn´t :?: :?: :?:
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

And how would you propose to change the seal without removing the Portal drive axle assembly? Yes it is in with 4 bolts, (the inner seal is part of the stop ring) inserted into a machined bore with a tight tolerance and an O ring in a groove in the bore.

The O ring is actually the hardest part of re assembly and most cut it on the first try leaving a pesky leak.
That is the short and skinny of the repair.
If the diff is split, it is much easier to place the O ring in the proper position.
One last note as mentioned in this thread, if the sphered surface the seal rides on is galled/damaged, it will be best to split the diff. There is also 1 more O ring behind it, sealing the back side of the plate to the axle stub housing.
So, unless it is pouring out or you have the resources and time, most would put on a split boot and see if it still leaks before going farther.
P.S. Try "Stop ring" " ring metal for axle boot" in parts search, you will need both parts(sit down before pricing) :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

got it!!! thank you guys!! :lol: :shock:
1985 710MS
1985 712MK