clutch/shifting repair advice

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
dgrcich

clutch/shifting repair advice

Post by dgrcich »

Pinz wants to strugle a bit to engage in each gear unless rpms are low OR by applying slight pressure on shifter untill it falls in gear.
** when on a hill in gear I put in clutch and it rolls easily acting as clutch is releasing as it should***
So far
*Rebuilt clutch master as the piston seemed to not return all the way.
*Checked trans fluid and it is full with clean gear oil.

With bell housing inspection plate removed it now has about an inch throw at arm when clutch is floored. The pressure plate and bolts look new so prior owner must have done a clutch job.

Am I on the right path at dropping trans and seeing if I can find something wrong with clutch even if it seems to not be slipping and if so should I pay attention to a certain part with these symptoms or am I going in the wrong direction here?

Hopeing this is not a trans rebuild issue.. :(

Thanks in advance for any advice
edzz
United States of America

Re: clutch/shifting repair advice

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

Not the same symptoms and mine has no problem spinning the drive shaft by hand with transfercase in neutral and clutch in so thinking it is not a clutch release issue :(
Thanks tho
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Might be the wrong fluid in the tranny; too slippery and the syncros won't get enough grab to get into gear (or worn syncros). First thing I'd try is spend $20 on Redline's MTL (Manual Transmission Lube) which has worked wonders for both my trannys. $20 and 20 minutes would be my starting point before the bigger job of pulling the tranny. Otherwise Jim L. is the man to tell you what to do next.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

Good idea. Since prior owner did the fluid change not sure whats in there. Got redline on order and will let you know if it does the trick! Thanks
dgrcich

Post by dgrcich »

Its like a rebuilt transmission in a bottle. Amazed at how much better the syncro's mesh into gear. Thanks for the great advice!
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Sounds like it had 140wt gear oil in the trans.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

I'm also having a bit of a problem with my trans I think, when it's in neutral and the clutch is out it makes a low winding noise and when I push clutch in it goes away. It's also makes a similar noise at take offs and low speeds but as soon is it reaches higher rpms it goes away can this also be transmission oil?
Thanks in advance!
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

NO....thats your bearing!
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

What bearing?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

What bearing?
The "throw out bearing", which translates the clutch action to the rotating pressure plate fingers. Pushing the clutch results in pressing the throw out bearing into the back of the pressure plate fingers which act as levers to pry the pressure plate away from the clutch disk, disengaing the engine from the tranny.

The throw out bearing should be allowed to release so far that it no longer touches the pressure plate; this is so the bearing is not constantly turning (which often wears it prematurely). It sounds like it may be still turning, giving the "low winding noise" that goes away with the increasing pressure used to release the clutch.

It could be the bearing itself; it could be the clutch linkage adjustment; or it could be that the pressure plate is worn and the fingers are not where they are suposed to be located. I've seen pressure plates where the fingers on one half are bent/worn differently than the other half; this is a sign that the pressure plate should be replaced. This happened on my truck but the clutch disk itself was not significantly used up so I just replaced the pressure plate.

If the throwout bearing "wears out" it usually falls apart, leaving nothing to push against the pressure plate fingers. Then the clutch will not release; the truck will be either stuck in gear or stuck in neutral.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Thank you for the info I'm going to take it apart.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

as was said more than likely it is the throwout bearing which when dry of grease will wear out the roller bearings within the unit and begin to squeal. The application of the clutch pedal makes the bearing compress and take up the gap in the bearing and temporarily quiet the squealing, however the bearing will self destruct and must be replaced before it does. It may also be time to replace the clutch and pressure plate while you have everything apart...no sence changing just a bearing only to have to do the job again soon down the road..unless you know the clutch was recently changed and may have had the job shortcut without the renewal of the bearing.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M