Tough to turn

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Buzz
United States of America

Tough to turn

Post by Buzz »

Lately I have noticed that it is taking more and more effort to turn my steering wheel. It's getting tough to get in and out of parking spots. Any suggestions on adjustments or lubrication? Thanks in advance.
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
edzz
United States of America

Re: Tough to turn

Post by edzz »

First thing to check, your tire pressures.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
landy

Post by landy »

Second thing to check is the oil level in the steering gear box. There are two fill locations on the steering gear, easily accessible from inside the cab. The manual illustrates where these fill ports are. If you don't have a manual, look at the steering gear box at the bottom of the steering column for the fill ports. One is a square plug and the other is flat-like plug that pops off with a screwdriver. 90w gear oil is acceptable.
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

You could always try having a bigger breakfast before you go out! :lol:

After years of shoe-horning the Pinz in and out of tight parking places, I've now got biceps like Popeye!

Yes, tyre pressures and steering box levels are the obvious targets.

Mike 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

3rd...make sure the front lockers aren't engaged . Also, jack up the front and check to make sure none of the pivot points are seizing....especially if you're one of those that likes swamp :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Thanks Gents! I'll check all those today. I'll also buy some spinach - it worked for Popeye!
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

a suicide knob will also go along way in helping you turn the wheel. Just get a real one from a tractor store and not one of the plastic posers the sell on fleabay
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

It was the tire pressure. It's funny, I log all the repars and maintenance I do on the truck. Every hub seal, brake adjustment, and oil change. But I forgot to check the tire pressure. Maybe I need ginko biloba instead of spinach?
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi Landy and all,

I have a 710M Austrian Pinz and had little trouble so far. Just discovered oil leaking from the bottom of my steering column and a small slow stream of oil coming somewhere from the back of it, where I cannot see. I am sure that it is not the clutch or brake leaking, as they are dry.

Unfortunately I only have an Austrian manual which does not show too much. I do have a repair manual, but when it gets to steering column; it is very cryptic and shows no places where to fill. You mention a square plug, which I see, and flat-like plug that pops off with a screw driver, both are painted red.
However I am more worried why it is leaking, so I can fix it, rather that fill it up with oil all the time. Any idea where it could leak from, behind where you cannot see. Could the casing be cracked ? I did bump the Pinz on a speed-bump pretty hard today... But it just looks absolutely solid metal, not easy to crack...
Maybe I need a new steering column ?? $$$$
Anyway appreciate any comment you might have.

Thanks and regards,

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Post a pic where it is leaking from
Could be as simple as a seal but easier to help with a pic
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
landy

Post by landy »

Likely a seal as TechMogy suggested. Mine has been leaking due to failed seal for a few years. I just continue to fill it up periodically.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The Tech Section has some photos of the steering gear assembly and rebuild.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
JNijst
Netherlands

Leaking steering column

Post by JNijst »

Hi gents,

In the first place; thanks for replying so quickly. I really did buy my Pinz, after I found out about this forum, I thought I would be 'save' with problems.
I was starting to worry about road-safety, imagine the steering-column locking up while you're driving on the highway.
I also felt very relieved, when I read it might be just the seal and filling up is just a good option, until it gets fixed.

Any idea how much trouble it is to renew the seal ? I read in the repair manual that it is very involved: pulleys to remove the steering-drop-arm and the steering-wheel even...

Attached 4 pictures, 2 are clear: showing that it leaks from just under the support bracket. The other 2 are taken from the left of the steering-column. The partially shown nut (top left) is the front-bumper-bolt. It does show that it is 'greasy'. Don't ask me what that orange blob is. Looks like a grease-mop.

Really appreciate any comments about repairing the seal, while in the meantime I'll just fill her up...
Thanks and regards,
Jules
Attachments
DSCF1209_small.jpg
DSCF1209_small.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
DSCF1211-Small.jpg
DSCF1211-Small.jpg (178.19 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
DSCF1226_small.jpg
DSCF1226_small.jpg (162.66 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
DSCF1200-Small.jpg
DSCF1200-Small.jpg (167.2 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Quite often a slow leak can be dealt with by topping up with a mixture of oil and some sort of seal expander from your local auto supply. Check the capacity, calculate the goop needed , add it and top up with oil. It may work and it certainly won't do any harm.

Cheers, Clive
landy

Post by landy »

You might also consider using a heavier weight gear oil as a temporary measure until fixed properly. I use 90w, but straight 140w is available in some auto parts stores here in the U.S. More viscous, but should still provide the lubricating properties needed for the steering gear.