rebuilding a transmission

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Winter Beater

rebuilding a transmission

Post by Winter Beater »

Anyone done this? Is it worth the effort or will the tools & parts exceed the cost of buying replacement? I have a shop and a decent tool selection, but don't want 2 months of downtime only to spend more than a new unit.
NoahDL88

Re: rebuilding a transmission

Post by NoahDL88 »

I'm in the same boat, ran a little low on fluid and 4th sounds like a jack hammer now :-(
1972 710K
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I assume we are talking about a manual 5 speed 710/712 transmission :D
(I've just had the ZF 4HP22 for the 718 rebuilt....auto's are something I leave to the experts).

Depends what's wrong with the transmission, but it's a fairly basic, resiliant unit.
The gears, shafts, syncronising rings, etc are quite expensive, but unless you've done some major gear/shaft damage a basic rebuild involving bearings, seals etc is relatively simple and cheap-ish! :)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Ran it low on oil, I'm fairly certain it needs new shafts and syncros
1972 710K
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Unfortunately as mentioned shafts and gears are fairly pricey parts....however I'd strip it and check out exactly what is damaged before lashing out on a new/replacement box.
Bear in mind, shafts can be metal sprayed and ground, the same with gear bores, larger diameter (imperial) rollers can be fitted etc, etc so repair is possible.
Anything can be rebuilt, it's just, is it a cost effective option as opposed to getting a replacement unit.

How did you run it low on oil?.....Did a seal let go?
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Trying to save the Pinzgauer owners some money. If you have a Pinzgauer and having difficulty shifting under normal operations don't let it go. Transmissions are not getting any cheaper and the supply is limited. If you think you have problem don't let it go until you have a problem. Most problems if caught early are not that bad. Jim can chime in if he wants but most problems can be solved relatively cheaply if caught early.

We have a local company we have used on and off for years to do oil analysis for a couple of customers. Most of the time we don't do it but when we suspect a problem or a customer raises an issue we will pull a sample for analysis. Usually a look at the magnetic plug tells us enough but on transmission issues it might not be a bad idea. If you think yanking a transmission out and shipping for repair is expensive run one to the point of grenading it, removing, shipping and repairing. Depending on what breaks it can be expensive if a shaft is damaged verses a bearing.

Cheers,
Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

New unit, Ha, Ha,(finding 1) that makes me laugh :P Usually cheaper to fix if you don't run it dry :wink:
The parts you pray are good are #1 Case,#2 main shaft, #3 cluster shaft(5th,4th, and 3rd driven gears are press fit @200deg F).
Basic ZF trans, it's not so much the tools but there is a learning curve on assembly/diss-assembly procedures.
With out bell housing, shipping weight is around 75-80 lbs.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."