Wheel bearing P#s (SKF?)

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
berger
Canada

Wheel bearing P#s (SKF?)

Post by berger »

I will be tackling the two rear seal leaks soon, and while I bought all the parts needed from SAV, I forgot to order the bearings :oops: . Since shipping charges really add up, and I read on SDP-PINZGAUER that the wheel bearings can be purchased at an automotive/bearing supply shop....
This is a standard seal available from NAPA & the seal stores so are the bearings 6208/C3.

....could someone help me clarify the bearing part numbers? From the pic they aren't the same bearings, so which bearing(s) does 6208/C3 refer too?

Thanks!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Re: Wheel bearing P#s (SKF?)

Post by edzz »

Print out the page from the spare parts catalog and take it with you to the your bearing supplier, in the German language column it gives a call out for the original suppliers part number (not positive what ones you want to replace) the parts guy should be able to cross reference the bearing, seal, or whatever is in that column if it’s a common part. The same goes for things like fuel lines and such, name only in “foreign language” column full description with manufactures part number if applicable in German column. also note the right colums have the quantity needed for 4x4 or 6x6

such as "rillenkugellager 6308 din 40x90x23"

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6308-ball-bearings/=iw0a8s
Attachments
bearing.jpg
bearing.jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 8096 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Thanks Ed!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I can't speak for where you are but the bearings locally here were more than SAV wanted for them. Factoring in shipping would have put SAV slightly higher but with less frustration then trying to match the numbers.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Not to mention that if you buy the parts from them and then need some support advice, they might be willing to help. Remember, the few Pinzgauer dealers out there are dealing with the same economic realities that we are - times are tight. Those dealers are not Wal-Mart, they are a small specialty shop, and they can't afford to freely give out advice only to have the customer run out to NAPA and save a couple bucks.

As one Pinzgauer parts supplier recently wrote to me about this exact situation:
I could have been doing paying things and this is what hurts the cash flow of small, personalized businesses. This is the exact scenario which will get US PInzgauer owners stranded with nothing some day because they bit the hand which feeds them. It hurts everybody and I wish folks would understand the chain reaction they are starting. Amazing that folks wonder that this country is going down the tubes and real service is becoming a rare occasion. Pretty sad but I will no longer finance this sort of luxury.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time for being cost-concious, and I admit I don't know the details of getting parts shipped to Canada. I like to buy locally to support the businesses in my community. But we all need to consider that the Pinz dealers are a part of our community that we rely on. It may be worth the extra few bucks to support them.

:idea: Sorry for the hijack, and perhaps this should be a topic of it's own. ??
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Guys, between SAV and EI, I have probably spent almost $1000CAN, since I bought this truck, that is almost $100,000 US :D. Pinzgauer Canada threw me a bone when I bitched about the boot that was obviously split, but I had already replaced with a boot from EI. When PC sent me another split boot with the excuse that their mechanic was bad, missed it and many other thins so they let him go, I was done dealing with them. Of course, I know that I have isolated myself from some on this forum for saying and bitching such things against a fellow dealer, but C'est la vie.

I am not trying to be cheap, but if I tear something down, and I discover I need a part like a bearing, if I can find it local, minus the minimum $40US shipping, plus the cost of the part, is that so bad? Lets say I dissemble everything, thinking the bearings are fine, yet I find an issue, but know that I can get a bearing in 2 days versus 2 weeks...what would you do? The extra cost, if any, of sourcing local is worth it. I am also aware of the support the offer, as Scott was awesome on helping me with my civi conversion, and the nice lady at SAV actually called me back to tell me I probably ordered to many items when I ordered all the wheel drive seals....and I did.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I can understand the frustration with being away from a mainstream of parts but imagine the frustration if you ordered the bearing locally got it home to find out it was the wrong bearing and had to go back. There is no substitution for getting the right part the first time. Some of the cross over numbers work OK but others are not exact matches. It only takes one time of getting a part that some one crossed over wrong to find out that the place you bought it won't take it back and then you have to order the correct part anyway. I think over time you will find SAV to be much faster then local on the more major components. As an example I know a guy locally here that took a seal into a bearing/seal supply house, got the seal, installed it and now has to go back in and change it again. The time loss is way more than waiting for the correct part.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Berger,

Please, I meant no disrespect to you. Just debating the merits of buying genuine parts.

What 4x4pinz wrote about getting a "cheap" part and then needing to redo the job is spot-on. As me how I know this so well. :roll: His example could be me. Instead of buying the correct part and being done with things, I bought both the cheap and the correct parts and had to do the job twice. It also helps keep the suppliers in business, and we'd collectively be screwed without them.

You must choose the source that is right for you, given all the factors. Good luck on the work.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

No offense taken guys. I understand your coments and I welcome them. This is what these forums are for, IMHO. Give me shite when I deserve it!! Sure, getting the right part useful be useful immediately, but I can return an unused part immediately, versus shipping it back.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

i agree with all.. Where do you buy your oil... some times the shipping expense and delivery time (today vs wait on ups)... rant rant...
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

I ordered some parts Tuesday afternoon and I already have them, and I live in Costa Rica and have to go through a forwarder in Miami. Talk about efficiency.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Berger, I have a 712 and recently finished wheel seal #6. Not once did I need a bearing replaced, just the seal to keep the gear oil in the hub. Are you sure you need this or are you just getting prep'd in case the bearings are NFG?
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

the bearings do go bad. I have had to replace one on my 710. No real symptoms just found it during a routine maintenance comb over.
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

Berger,

REAR Wheel hub repair:

The Inner wheel bearing - SAV D054120050 is in an FAG box labelled NJ2207E.TVP2
The outer bearing - SAV 9006311 is in an FAG box labelled 6308

These #'s correspond to the parts manual EDZZ refers to
berger
Canada

Post by berger »