Pinz will turn over but won't start

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
khansmith

Pinz will turn over but won't start

Post by khansmith »

Hello
I just got done putting in a new gas tank, oil and filter change and went to turn over the engine. It chugged once or twice like it was going to start but now the engine is turning over but won't ignite. I can see fuel flowing from the tank thru my fuel filter. I put an external spark tester on one of the spark plug wires (they don't penetrate the wire, just lay on top like this http://www.mechanicstoolswarehouse.com/ ... m=LIS19380 and it is not showing spark but I am not sure if this is accurate because it looks like I have the original ignition system and I believe it is shielded. In summary, I have fuel, I have air but no bang bang.

Question:
Can someone suggest an ordered list of what I should be checking? Or, is the issue obvious to you and there is a specific repair I need to make?

I have attached a picture of the ignition system in case that is pertinent.

Thank you in advance for any insights/help.
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Pinz will turn over but won't start

Post by audiocontr »

Make sure the key is turned fully. Sometimes mine looks like it's on but will not start.

I'd do a better test of the ignition. Can you pull a wire and safely ground it w a screwdriver to check for spark?

Do you have a strong gas smell after repeated attempts?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

Thanks for replying. I did get a fuel smell but not overwhelming. The starter motor is turning the engine. Would the key position still be an issue?
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Basic auto shop 101: engines need three systems to run. Mechanical, fuel and electrical.

Mechanical: any loose wires, loose distributor, linkage, carb leaking etc, timing
Fuel: solenoids working, fuel delivery to carbs, leaks?
Electrical: spark at plugs

Go through each system at a time, first looking for the obvious and drilling down from there.

good luck
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

Thanks Michael!
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'm truly not trying to be a smart a$$, so please do not be offended.

But this question:
The starter motor is turning the engine. Would the key position still be an issue?
makes me think that perhaps you may be well advised to get somebody well versed in basic auto electric and/or repairs to help you out here. Here's why:

When you first turn the key one click right, you notice the truck's dash lights come on. This turns on the ignition electronics, the parts that provide the spark to each cylinder.

But the engine's starter motor doesn't turn over until you push the "start" button. So even though the starter motor turns when you push the start button, it's a separate question from whether the ignition is actually "on". If the ignition isn't "on", then you won't have spark at the spark plugs.

The reason I suggested help, is because this is pretty basic auto circuitry.

That all said, you've got the original military ignition parts, so it's not quite as easy to check for spark (as compared to the civilian conversion). If it were me, I'd maybe test for fuel first. I'd remove the air box over the carbs, and pour about 1 tbsp. of gas into each carb. Then try to turn on the truck. If it fires briefly and dies, then you've got spark and should be looking at a fuel problem (bad filter, hoses, clogged or empty tank, carb problems). If it won't fire with a little primer gas, then I'd be looking at the ignition system, including the key switch.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

khansmith wrote:Hello
I just got done putting in a new gas tank
Air in fuel line
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

TechMOGogy wrote:
khansmith wrote:Hello
I just got done putting in a new gas tank
Air in fuel line
Gas in gas tank?

When you step on the gas pedal and look into the bore of the carburetors are you getting a spray of fuel from the accelerator jet's?

It can take a lot of cranking to prime the fuel system especially if you have any air leaks in the system.
when i first read your post i failed to register the dropped fuel tank. Insure that gas is getting to the carbs.

Also if your truck has an auxiliary gas cab heater you may want to cap the line going to ti at least temporarily just to rule out air leaks in that portion of the fuel lines.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Did you ever get this sorted out?
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

It turns out my ignition system gave up the ghost. I got a solid state system from Pinzssi and my pinz has never ran so well! No need for a choke at start up and very smooth/responsive acceleration.
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

Nice been hearing nothing bit praise for the pinz SSI. May have to check it out when my 710 gets here.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

mopar wrote:Nice been hearing nothing bit praise for the pinz SSI. May have to check it out when my 710 gets here.
Sorry off topic:
You sold the 718 and purchased a 710?
M or K?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker