Brake Lights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
John L
United States of America

Brake Lights

Post by John L »

Guys I need a quick bit of help... I have a 1975 710M. I changed/upgraded my old brake fluid reservoir over the weekend. The old one had a place to connect four wires on the back (2 green and 2 brown) The new one only has a place to connect 2 wires. My set up appears to have 2 main wires coming from under the dash (1 green and 1 brown) then an extra green and brown are jumped off of these and run to the other connection on the old reservoir. So, I figured that the new one would only require the installation of the 2 main wires coming from under the dash. I installed it, solved my leak I have been battling, but now don't have brake lights. I capped the 2 extra wires and figured I would be fine.

BTW I have tail lights and turn signals on the rear; I just don't have any brake lights. Has anyone else done this upgrade and run into the same problem? I'm assuming this is just a connection issue. I tried swapping wires, etc... to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

John
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Brake Lights

Post by pcolette »

The green and the brown wires are for the brake fluid level sensor(s) and you have wired them correctly. The original reservoir had 2 sensors and the newer model has only one.

The brake lights are controlled by the brake light switch which is a pressure switch screwed into the body of the master cylinder. It's on the front of the cylinder at the left end of it and is difficult to see. It has 2 wires going to it, one providing power and one connected to the rear brake lights. I'd check to see if the wires are still secure as you might have knocked one or both off while changing the reservoir. They are typically spade connectors.

Hope this helps.
IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1991.jpg (112.8 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Thanks... I didn't even think of that. I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. It has to be something simple. I just couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

John
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

John L wrote: So, I figured that the new one would only require the installation of the 2 main wires coming from under the dash. I installed it, solved my leak I have been battling, but now don't have brake lights. I capped the 2 extra wires and figured I would be fine.
John

i cannot determine what colour you capped.
I do hope you connected one green (mains) and one brown (ground) else your level warning won't work....
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Guys thanks for the input. As usual the input was invaluable. I knew it had to be something simple... but was unaware that the electrical connection on the reservoir was only for the warning light. I checked the spade connections on the brake switch on the master cylinder. The bottom connection was loose. I installed it, and no joy. Still no lights. But then I remembered in the process of installing the reservoir I removed the electrical connections all together. So, I switched the connections and put the red on the bottom and the orange on the top. It worked! I have brake lights. Thanks again for taking a minute to shoot me in the right direction. Levers down! John