Wiring up a ration heater in my 710M

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
OhioPinz

Wiring up a ration heater in my 710M

Post by OhioPinz »

I'm not an electric guy. I'm wanting to install a RAK15 ration/water heater in my 710M. It requires 24vdc/15amps. Can I wire it up to the accessory plug behind the front right seat, or should I run a separate lead directly off the batteries with a fuse? Is a 15amp draw a big deal?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Wiring up a ration heater in my 710M

Post by Jimm391730 »

Use the socket behind the passenger seat; it is not fused. As with house wiring, 15A should have at least #14 wire (#12 preferred) and I believe the socket uses at least #12 to bring power to it.

You can also go directly to the batteries, or off the battery lead at the starter. Again, #12 would be recommended. You should fuse this with a 20A fuse (any automotive fuse and holder from Radio Shack or an automotive store will work for 24V; they are actually rated to 32 volts). The fuse should be as close to the batteries or socket as is reasonably possible.

And I'd recommend that you ground the heater return line to the chassis (not direct to the batteries) so it can be disconnected when the battery key is off. Lastly, I wouldn't have the heater on more than 1-2 hours max or you could have drained your batteries, and possibly less time if they are getting old. This is another case where a voltmeter can tell you how long you can run the heater - I'd suggest to not drain the batteries below 23 volts (11.5 volts minimum at each battery) to have a reasonable chance of restarting the engine.
Jim M.
712W and 710M