Won't Start - No Electric Power

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
IdahoPinz

Won't Start - No Electric Power

Post by IdahoPinz »

So I've got a '72 710M. I replaced my set of aging, dying batteries and during the install arc-ed the battery connection. Since this time, the Pinz won't start. There isn't power to the lights, wipers, fans, etc. Any thoughts? I've traced the important wiring mentioned in posts elsewhere and it seems there's continuity. At a loss to know where to start or what might be the most likely culprit.... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Won't Start - No Electric Power

Post by audiocontr »

Are you sure they weren't installed in reverse? Did someone install a winch or some other aftermarket powered device to the battery?

Wiggle the kill switch behind the seat and check for voltage at the key. Although annoying, this shouldn't be too difficult to identify.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Have you checked the circuit breakers? Is power getting to them? Is it getting to the main cut-off switch? And through it? A test light sounds like your new best friend. By the way you should check to see that the batteries are still functional too. 24 volts and likely over 1000 amps is enough to kill you. Be very careful.

Next time, couple the batteries in series, then always due up the positive first and then the negative.

Good luck.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

IdahoPinz wrote:Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. My thought is that you need a multi-meter that reads volts and ohms, and see what you've got, and where.

So long as the batteries are connected correctly, here's nothing that should fail, regardless of the order in which you make the connections - positive, battery to battery, or negative. But connecting the 24v ground last is how it's usually done, as 63Rover said.

How did you arc things? Short across the anodes? Or Short to chassis ground? Or...?
IdahoPinz

Post by IdahoPinz »

THANKS for all the suggestions. I was at my wits end, but took all the advice and started back at the beginning checking the voltage and continuity along the way. Turned out the brand new after-market master switch I installed when I replaced the batteries was bad - and the old, original one was still in good working order. A quick swap out and the Pinz is running again. Thanks again....