Master Cut-off switch wiring

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Master Cut-off switch wiring

Post by berger »

Does anyone have a picture, or can describe to me how the battery wires are connected to the cut-off switch? I disconnected the wires in order to replace them with new cables, but didn't get to it for a week and forgot to take a pic. Doh!

I believe the large ground cable connects to one of the terminals on the switch, the smaller ground cable spliced/connected to it goes to the ground on the battery box and its other end goes to the battery..The other cable going to the starter connects to the positive terminal. What is connected to the second terminal on the switch?? Wiring diagram doesn't help me.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Re: Master Cut-off switch wiring

Post by berger »

Ah the Portal Hub....forgot what it was like here.... :lol: ...got used to ADVrider and Triumph forums....26 reads and not one response with assistance.... :lol: ....

Oh well, thanks for reading guys! :roll:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

a picture is worth a thousand words.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Not for lack of caring - just that I've never ripped into mine, and don't have any suggestion for you. You do know that there is a bypass relay to "short out the switch", keeping the switch closed (even if the key is removed) if the engine is running? This keeps a path to the batteries which are needed for the alternator and regulator to work into. Perhaps that is what that smaller wire is, if so it needs to go to the battery side of the switch. But this is just a guess.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Perhaps this diagram helps
8-11-2016 1-46-51 PM.jpg
8-11-2016 1-46-51 PM.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 6678 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

berger wrote:Ah the Portal Hub....forgot what it was like here.... :lol: ...got used to ADVrider and Triumph forums....26 reads and not one response with assistance.... :lol: ....

Maybe have a bit more patience? :wink:
IMG_2336.jpg
IMG_2336.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
IMG_2337.jpg
IMG_2337.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

berger wrote:Ah the Portal Hub....forgot what it was like here.... :lol: ...got used to ADVrider and Triumph forums....26 reads and not one response with assistance.... :lol: ....

So, let me get this right. You pulled your truck apart a week ago, didn't keep notes and didn't take a photo, and now we're the folks who are inconveniencing you because nobody answered you within one day? :shock: Hmmm...
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

TechMOGogy wrote:Perhaps this diagram helps
8-11-2016 1-46-51 PM.jpg
Thanks Dan...I got off the smart phone and hit the laptop yesterday. Much easier to search. :D
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pcolette wrote:

Maybe have a bit more patience? :wink:
IMG_2336.jpg
IMG_2337.jpg
CHeers! Got it sorted yesterday.

That is one clean truck!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

undysworld wrote:

So, let me get this right. You pulled your truck apart a week ago, didn't keep notes and didn't take a photo, and now we're the folks who are inconveniencing you because nobody answered you within one day? :shock: Hmmm...
Admittedly, I was in a rush, standing over the truck cursing myself, and I have gotten used to more active forums. That being said, of all the vehicle related forums I belong to, I have always found that there are a handful of guys on The Portal (yourself included) that help everyone else, while the rest...well, I am not sure what they contribute. Only here will you see 26 members read a post and not offer anything, anything....it is kinda funny. :mrgreen: This is why I post and document the my repairs on this forum....my way of giving back to you handful of helpful SOGs! :D

...speaking of those posts....my photobucket pics are missing!!! :(
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

" got it sorted yesterday"
"This is why I post and document my repairs on this forum"

Well, what did you find?
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

NEWFISHER wrote:Well, what did you find?
:?: :?:

I rather expect that what Berger "found" was that his wires were disconnected (which was no big surprise as he had written this in his first post). I think it's logical to assume that he reconnected the new wires as shown in Paul C's photo.