NEED HELP ASAP! Pinz DOWN

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
PINZDKH
United States of America

NEED HELP ASAP! Pinz DOWN

Post by PINZDKH »

Need help! Trying to get ready for a trip in the Pinz - supposed to leave in two days. Changed the oil today and was letting it idle... and it just shut off like the key was turned off. I did a lot of troubleshooting and I found that there is no spark going to the spark plugs. I installed a PinzSSI about a year ago and it has worked flawlessly. There are four terminals on the PinzSSI relay - 12 volt in (battery), 12 volt out (to SSI distributor), ground, and 24 volt in (from ignition switch). Ground and power leads all appear to be operational. When the key is switched to ON, 24 volts comes into the relay and engages it, sending 12 volts out on the other side to the SSI distributor. Those guys came up with a simple design... but I can't figure out why it isn't firing. For those of you familiar with the PinzSSI system, there is a red LED under the "cap" on the distributor that blinks when the #1 signal is fired (its an optical distributor). The red LED is blinking when the motor is turning over... but there is NO spark coming out of the coil pack. I checked the plug connection at the coil pack and verified that it is fully engaged. It looks to me like the coil pack itself isn't taking the signal from the SSI distributor and then sending a "spark" to the plugs. I used a spare plug and grounded it to the motor with the lead plugged in --- no spark. I even grounded myself and held on to the end of the plug to see if I would get hit... no spark. Any thoughts anyone??? Does anyone know if the coil pack is the same as what is used in another vehicle? If so what vehicle and I'll go buy another coil pack and try that.

Thanks in advance -- really hoping my trip doesn't blow up on me.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: NEED HELP ASAP! Pinz DOWN

Post by pcolette »

Have you checked the connections at the switch that allows you to change ignition curves? On the earlier rotary switch (4 position) the connections were a bit fragile. I think a short there would keep the Pinz SSI module from sending a signal to the coil pack to fire the plugs.
I have 2 of the Pinz SSI's and (knock on wood) both have performed flawlessly. I do have a spare coil pack in my parts kit so maybe that kept it from failing :)

Good Luck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Assume you'be contacted Rick who sells the SSI kit?
That would be your best bet and I am sure he can get you a spare coil pack
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

I don't see any rotary switch (or any switch for that matter) on the coil pack, relay, or under the cap on the distributor.

Waiting on a call back from Rick.

Stressing out big time.
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

I talked to Rick at PinzSSI. Everything is looking like my ignition module (distributor assembly) is malfunctioning. I'm going to have to send it in for evaluation.

Back to the problem at hand -- I'm still hoping to make my trip on Wednesday... meaning I have to put my old points distributor and coil back in the Pinz. Does anyone know the timing specs for this motor? Hopefully I can still make my trip.