710M Top Center Antenna Cap/Plate

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
bbolander
United States of America

Re: 710M Top Center Antenna Cap/Plate

Post by bbolander »

Got my antenna mounts and cables installed today. Gave up using Ham and CB at the same time for the best location for performance for both. We only use Ham at our Rally events and Bronco friends activities, and only use CB on family runs and Southern Utah 4wd events. I ground paint off of the bolt head locations and used NO-OX-ID A-SPECIAL CONDUCTIVE GREASE ANTENNA ANTI CORROSION at the bolt head locations and on the bolt threads.

This one is with the old base gasket which I replaced.
IMG_1212 copy.jpg
IMG_1212 copy.jpg (746.03 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
This is with the new base gasket, before I pulled it into place.
IMG_1213 copy.jpg
IMG_1213 copy.jpg (327.97 KiB) Viewed 2739 times
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

With both antennas being mounted about an inch away from each other like that, seems like you're going to get some undesirable coupling effects, degrading performance in both RX and TX as well as altering your radiation pattern.

General rule of thumb is to have a separation of at least 1/4 wavelength of the antenna for the lowest freq. So for CB (11m), ideally you would want to try to have at least 2.75 meters, or ~9 feet of free space around it.

1976 Pinzgauer 710K
Mike

'76 710K
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

mm58 wrote:With both antennas being mounted about an inch away from each other like that, seems like you're going to get some undesirable coupling effects, degrading performance in both RX and TX as well as altering your radiation pattern.

General rule of thumb is to have a separation of at least 1/4 wavelength of the antenna for the lowest freq. So for CB (11m), ideally you would want to try to have at least 2.75 meters, or ~9 feet of free space around it.

1976 Pinzgauer 710K
I'm aware of that, but just the mounts are close together. I'll only be using one antenna at a time. Either CB or Ham, not both at the same time.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

bbolander wrote:I keep thinking I'm done with this. Previously tried to tap the cap off the base with no success. But today after drilling my antenna mount holes and cleaning burrs and paint, the cap came right off! It just sits on the gasket and is bolted to the base. The base 6 hole bosses visible underneath are NOT tapped for the 6 screws. I've drilled the holes for the CB and Ham antenna mounts. A step drill worked fine. The cap seems to be aluminum. Here are a couple of pictures:
IMG_1209 copy.jpg
IMG_1210 copy.jpg

I am needing the four hole rubber seal between the top cover and the base as pictured. I don't see it on SAV or EI site (only a 6 hole version) . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Talk to Sahra at SAV, they may have a gasket laying around from a parts out, likely dried out and cracked though :(

You could make one, or get one made customer from Aero Rubber.
http://www.aerorubber.com/rubber-gasket ... fgodN9EIsw

Lots of material here at Equal Seal.
http://www.equalseal.com/product-p/buna ... fgodkMUEbg

I'd go with a medium to soft harness, closed cell neoprene. The larger Hardware stores should have something workable.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q