Radio Plug for Power Details

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
bbolander
United States of America

Re: Radio Plug for Power Details

Post by bbolander »

The previous owner gave us a wiring diagram entitled Wiring Scheme 710 4x4/712 6x6 Version with black-out light switch.

It shows a fuse in the red power wire from the alternator to the radio plug. No rating is shown on the diagram and no such fuse is listed in the Operator's manual. I haven't checked to see if I can find one inside the wire loom in the engine compartment.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse in the red power wire to the radio plug? If so, what is the fuse amp rating?
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have seen events that lead me to believe that our Pinz's have some "fuseable links" which are wires that are designed to safely fuse (become open) without melting the insulation first (one owner found one in the output from the alternator; it was open and he couldn't get the batteries to charge). I suspect that the fuse noted is probably not a separate fuse, but instead a fuseable link as part of the wiring. Fuseable links typically are high(er) current limits so I'd guess that any link to the radio plug is likely to be good for 30, 40 amps or possibly even greater current. Hope this helps.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Jimm391730 wrote:I have seen events that lead me to believe that our Pinz's have some "fuseable links" which are wires that are designed to safely fuse (become open) without melting the insulation first (one owner found one in the output from the alternator; it was open and he couldn't get the batteries to charge). I suspect that the fuse noted is probably not a separate fuse, but instead a fuseable link as part of the wiring. Fuseable links typically are high(er) current limits so I'd guess that any link to the radio plug is likely to be good for 30, 40 amps or possibly even greater current. Hope this helps.
I thought the same thing, 30 amps or higher should be fine for what I'm using it for.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now