If your brake lights and 4-ways quit working

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzinator

If your brake lights and 4-ways quit working

Post by pinzinator »

but the turn signals and tail lights work OK, check the plastic connector housing behind the steering column. I found the grey/black wire had pulled out slightly. After I pushed it back in everything worked fine.

pcolette
United States of America

Re: If your brake lights and 4-ways quit working

Post by pcolette »

Thanks for the tip! I'm in the process of changing over to new rear lights and I plan to give the whole system a good look over. Already found the rear grounds were not as solid as they should be.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Paul, there is a terminal block under the Pinz, at the back, which feeds the tail light assemblies along with the trailer connector. Mine is totally shot, I am surprised it still functions at all. My plan it to replace it with something of a newer design and possibly more watertight. The wire that goes into the block now has brittle insulation that is a short waiting to happen under the right conditions.
Click on this link and scroll down to get an idea of what I am referring to. There are a variety of designs out there http://www.wiringproducts.com/power-distribution-blocks
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes, mine was in poor shape also. I replaced it a while back with the upgraded original box which is pretty well sealed.
https://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.p ... 111850610/

I'm now replacing both of the rear wiring harnesses too. Then I'll check over some of the hazard flasher and turn signal wiring.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE