trailer connector on Pinz

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
pinzgauer4x4

trailer connector on Pinz

Post by pinzgauer4x4 »

Are there easy, cheap, and successful ways to convert the 24V Pinz trailer connector to 12V to operate civilian trailers?

I have multiple trailers that I'd like to be able pull with the Pinz that I'd still like to continue to have the ability to alternate pulling with civilian vehicles. I don't want to spend the money on an expensive 24V-12V converter nor need other functionality of powering other 12V equipment - only for trailer light use, no brakes. I was just hoping to make an adapter cable to go from the standard European connector from SAV to a female 7-pin basic connector using in-line resistors. Does that work? I don't want to overheat and burn anything up, nor do I know if the turn lights would work properly with this type of resistor for the voltage step down. Changing light bulbs isn't practical for frequent use, so I also considered using the magnetic base type, either standard or LED, but either way I need a adaptor cable.

I was trying to refer back to this discussion thread for guidance..... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6774&p=47853&hilit ... ect#p47853

Thanks,
Doug
rmel
United States of America

Re: trailer connector on Pinz

Post by rmel »

Change your trailer lamps to 9V-32V LED's.
Then it would work for both setups.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I only rarely pull a trailer with our Pinz (maybe once a year). I got the Pinz trailer connector and wired it to a set of magnetic trailer lights and bought 24V bulbs for them. I just stick them on whatever trailer, whenever needed. It's easy, simple, but not quite as simple as just plugging in the trailer conventionally. How much work you go through depends on how often you have to do it.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

As Jimm391730 said I also made up a couple of these trailer lights to fit the pinz trailer plug. Don't have to worry about how the trailer is wired because sometimes I am moving other peoples trailers and the wiring is not always correct on theirs. I know with my setup I can pull any trailer I feel comfortable with.