PinzSSI Install issues

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
FCSPinz

PinzSSI Install issues

Post by FCSPinz »

Hi Guys

This is my first post here. Just bought a 710.

1st mod on the list is the PinzSSI. I only read and heard good things about this system and was very excited to get it installed!!

I had the best Pinz mechanic in the South West install it for me. At first we ran into problems and after some trouble shooting found that the power supply was not at the required voltage (18V instead of 24). After a re-route of the power supply it worked perfectly. Truck ran better than new.

Yet, the next morning it did not. Lights came on power and voltage was there as required but it did not turn over. Took out the system placed the old system (petronix) back in and all is running as before.

My question: has anybody experienced something like this before? Any ideas here?

Regards
FCS
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: PinzSSI Install issues

Post by audiocontr »

run power from the front battery instead of the converter and try again. I suspect your 24-12 is causing some issues
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

FCSPinz wrote:Hi Guys

This is my first post here. Just bought a 710.

Regards
FCS
Hi FCS,
Welcome to the group!
Where are ya? Sometimes you have help right next door, without even realizing it.
FCSPinz wrote:I had the best Pinz mechanic in the South West install it for me.
Which one? :shock:
There's a few good ones down that way, at least. Besides, if he's the best, why isn't it fixed yet (in time for happy hour)? :roll: Sorry, I had to...

If I were you, I'd be checking the power supply to the ssi, under a load. I'd also be in contact with the supplier of the ssi system to find out if they have any useful advice. If the system has the proper voltage and is properly grounded and doesn't work as advertised, then I'd assume it has failed (hopefully in a manner covered by warranty). If the system worked once for you, it seems that the most likely issue is power-supply or device-failure -related.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
FCSPinz

Post by FCSPinz »

audiocontr wrote:run power from the front battery instead of the converter and try again. I suspect your 24-12 is causing some issues
That was already done and when he could not get it going on Saturday he tested the power to the unit to be 24V as expected. It must be something else.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I once tore my hair out over a 12v power supply to a radiator fan. It read 12v with a voltmeter. But when the fan loaded the circuit, a poor connection at the fuse dropped the power to zero. ?? I think if it's not power, then the unit may be damaged somehow.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Doesn't the PinzSSI require only 12V - not 24V - and how would one get 18 volts from two 12v batteries?

Something seems odd here...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
pinzgauerpete

Post by pinzgauerpete »

Ok on the passenger side there is a white wire supplying 24volts and went to the one side of the suppressor which was removed to install the SSI, that white wire was butt connected to the yellow wire which goes directly to the SSI and it provides 24 volts. On the drivers side there is a red wire which feeds the coil pack and that wire must be connected to the battery supplying 12 volts. Depending on how your batteries are mounted that could be either one of your dual batteries, and if I remember right needs to be verified with the ignition switch in the on position. It is critical to get this right, since if you apply 24volts to the coil pack you will damage it and void any warrantee.Hope this helps...best regards
FCSPinz

Post by FCSPinz »

Great insight thanks everyone. I have reached out to Rick and we have an action plan in place.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I suspect 3 places where the problem lies. The ballast resistor has 3 connections inside that are tightened with a screwdriver. If any of the 3 come loose due to vibration, the voltage could drop to zero like undysworld experienced. Nothing creates and open circuit like amperage on a loose connection! Second, the RPM limiter could be going bad and lowering the voltage below the threshold that the internal relay needs to close. Third, a bad cell in the battery that is feeding the coil could lower voltage to where the coil cannot fire over 2 spark plug gaps.

I have no doubt that there is a low voltage situation somewhere in the circuit that feeds the module or in a battery. Or possibly one of the connections made during installation wasn't made properly. This isn't the first Pinzgauer to have electrical issues reflected in the performance of the PinzSSI. All previous were low or no voltage problems that pre-existed before installation.

My solution is to tap the 24 volt wire into the harness that feeds the fuel stop solenoids that mount on the carbs. The harness is key switched and always has battery voltage present. I am thinking of modifying the installation directions to recommend this, and perhaps offer a new harness just for this purpose. Most solenoid harnesses are quite beat up over 40 years of service and should be replaced anyway.

Whatever parts needed to get this Pinzgauer running correctly, if required, will be provided immediately, and FCSPinz can call me anytime for advice or suggestions. Anyone who has dealt with me before knows how determined I am to get it right.
FCSPinz

Post by FCSPinz »

pinzinator wrote:I suspect 3 places where the problem lies. The ballast resistor has 3 connections inside that are tightened with a screwdriver. If any of the 3 come loose due to vibration, the voltage could drop to zero like undysworld experienced. Nothing creates and open circuit like amperage on a loose connection! Second, the RPM limiter could be going bad and lowering the voltage below the threshold that the internal relay needs to close. Third, a bad cell in the battery that is feeding the coil could lower voltage to where the coil cannot fire over 2 spark plug gaps.

I have no doubt that there is a low voltage situation somewhere in the circuit that feeds the module or in a battery. Or possibly one of the connections made during installation wasn't made properly. This isn't the first Pinzgauer to have electrical issues reflected in the performance of the PinzSSI. All previous were low or no voltage problems that pre-existed before installation.

My solution is to tap the 24 volt wire into the harness that feeds the fuel stop solenoids that mount on the carbs. The harness is key switched and always has battery voltage present. I am thinking of modifying the installation directions to recommend this, and perhaps offer a new harness just for this purpose. Most solenoid harnesses are quite beat up over 40 years of service and should be replaced anyway.

Whatever parts needed to get this Pinzgauer running correctly, if required, will be provided immediately, and FCSPinz can call me anytime for advice or suggestions. Anyone who has dealt with me before knows how determined I am to get it right.

Thanks appreciate the input!!!
pinzgauerpete

Post by pinzgauerpete »

Its been some time now...did you find a resolution to this issue? Please let us all know the outcome
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

While I was not involved in the install of the fcspinz SSI unit I did install one in a similar truck. That is to say a truck that had sat for an extended period of time without running. Had issues getting that truck going at first. I believe as Rick has mentioned that the power source or ground of the 24v source is the issue. Once I established a good ground and a better 24v source the truck runs. Needs a ton of carb work to be right but that had nothing to do with the SSI. It should be noted that the SSI unit in my truck has been there for over 2 1/2 years with no issue. We have install seven in different trucks here and they have all been working great and went in with no issue. Only difference between trucks is that these all were running regularly before the install.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Many 24 to 12V converters will benefit from some additional capacitance added to the output (~2,000 uf is a reasonable value) to ensure that the converter can supply the surges of current that the SSI needs. However, some converters won't start up properly if too much extra capacitance is added. As the SSI instructions note, the best 12V power is from the battery tap between them, however this will eventually unbalance the batteries and ruin one or both (given enough time). YMMV.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Must be some confusion. In both trucks neither was getting the 12v from a converter. They were connected direct to the battery as described in instructions. Which BTW had worked very well in eight other trucks that I have seen. The last two trucks both had been sitting for extended periods of time and I believe that had something to do with the problems. Possible week batteries or possible ground issues in the static trucks. In all other cases install went great and trucks are running perfect.