Faulty flasher switch?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Rookie
United States of America

Faulty flasher switch?

Post by Rookie »

What signs does the emergency flasher switch show when it's faulty need help in pinpointing this problem
rmel
United States of America

Re: Faulty flasher switch?

Post by rmel »

Can you describe the problem you are having? Maybe no flashing
or weak, intermittent flashing????
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

I have flashers in the front but not the rear then no brake lights.then all of a sudden my number 12 fuse kept on popping I was trying to trouble shoot it.what I did notice when I took the emergency flasher switch completely off the firewall the breaker would not pop.the front of the switch is metal I'm getting a reading of 24 .6 volts from the metal face of the switch.as soon as the switch touched the firewall breaker popped I believe the switch is grounding out.also in back of that switch there is an orange wire that is hooked up to the first leg of the flasher switch which comes from the brake switch.when I move it over to the left closer to the drivers door my brakes come on but don't shut off.then when I remove the orange wire to the right brakes come off.i ordered a brake switch and a emergency flasher switch to see if that fixes the problem I believe the flasher switch is bad before this happened everything worked as it should it just happened out of the blue.im not very good when it comes to electronics but I'm learning.any input would greatly be appreciated
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Funny, I just had to replace my brake switch, Brakes always on. I confirmed it
was bad switch as it was a relatively low resistance with and without hydraulic
pressure on the peddle. Since you ordered a new Hazard switch may as well see
if that fixes your problem if so no more hunting of electrical goblins necessary :D
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Thanks rmel for the responses i will let u know once i track it down maybe it will help someone later down the road
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The emergency flasher switch is pretty simple, mechanically (but somewhat complex electrically), and easy to disassemble for cleaning and lubricating. But it is not sealed (which is why it is easy to disassemble) so dust and dirt can enter, get trapped by the lubricant, and cause wear and malfunctions. It won't hurt to open it up, see how it works, clean and reassemble. This may solve all your problems.
Jim M.
712W and 710M