Engine block ground

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
whitesik
United States of America

Engine block ground

Post by whitesik »

Good morning!
To put it simply, I have had ignition problems over the past several months and I have worked through most if not all concerns mentioned in various threads. The problem seems intermittent and now I am concerned about a grounding issue. This may seem like a stupid question whose answer is intuitively obvious but, where/how is the engine block grounded? I see ground straps for the "generator" and at the starter around the clutch but nothing in diagrams for the block. The alternator grounds to the intake manifold (pretty sure I cleaned and mounted that well on the rebuild.) Shouldn't the block additionally ground to chassis somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Keith
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: Engine block ground

Post by Hotzenplotz »

there is one grounding strip around the starter motor area connecting the engine block to the platform.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
The true Pinzgauer´s

Post by The true Pinzgauer´s »

the engine earth/ ground ( in sence of main ground) it´s on the right side at the firewall bottom below the air box , a screwed point on a socket. There is a 20° cross-section flat silver flexible Earth-Strap with 290mm length going to the upper fixing stud of the Clutch slave cylinder. There is one second earth strap at the starter, between the lower 12mm Stud and the clutch case. it is only for the starter , because the starter is mounted on a rubber plate. Also the Alternator is grounded by strap to the front air manifold, because the Fan case is also on a rubber plate monted. the harness on right top of engine is all plus circled and for controlling Alternator and shut-down valves. The round silver flexible cabel at the ignigion coil to distributor looks like a earth strap, but it shilds only the cabel no 1 from electrical cracking.
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Thanks to both of you!!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG