Parking Brake Circuit Short ??

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
cronapress
Great Britain

Parking Brake Circuit Short ??

Post by cronapress »

Hi. Parking brake light illuminated continuously. Parking brake mechanically working and releasing normally (everything greased up to the eyeballs !) Removed switch to clean connector, adjust etc. Metered the switch and it's a bit intermittent, so will order a new one. HOWEVER.... with wire to switch disconnected I'm still getting dash light on. Tried earthing the lead - still on. What's that all about ?? Am I right in suspecting a short to earth somewhere ?? Am I also right in assuming the switch contacts are normally closed (button out) and open when button pressed ie. spring pulls lever onto button. I hope the above makes sense. Help !

Mike.
Ayrshire,
Scotland.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Parking Brake Circuit Short ??

Post by pcolette »

IIRC, the dash brake light indicator may also be used to indicate low brake fluid in the reservoir.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Many thanks for that suggestion. I never realised that the brake fluid low level indication circuit was allied with the parking brake circuit. Just checked, and the fluid level is normal and connections to the reservoir appear sound. Worth a try and thanks again.

Mike.
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Problem solved ! A bad joint had been made sometime in the past which had failed. Joint now crimped with in-line connector. New parking brake switch fitted and adjusted. All back to normal. Thanks again to Paul C. for his suggestion and also to Dale at Haflinger Technik for lightning fast response (as per usual) in sending the new switch.

Mike.