Extra wires? add on?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
acurtis
United States of America

Extra wires? add on?

Post by acurtis »

After much fighting with my non working brake lights and turn signals (an interesting circuit BTW), and reading 200 +posts about light troubles (thanks to all posters- what a knowledge base ), I am up and running, during my troubleshooting I came across the following connections coming off the low brake fluid sensor. Anyone have any idea what these might have been used for? I can't see anywhere on the truck they might fit. 1974 Swiss 710M .
Attachments
IMG_0780.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG (67.8 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Extra wires? add on?

Post by pcolette »

The original brake fluid reservoir had 2 caps, each with a fluid level sensor built in. You have the newer reservoir with 1 cap and 1 sensor. I would just tape off the extra wires.
IMG_2010.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg (372.5 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
acurtis
United States of America

Post by acurtis »

Makes perfect sense-
thanks

I fried my brake light switch( little wiring fire- could not really see to plug things in back there- I assume replacing it will require me to drain my reservoir( or make a mess) and bleed my brakes afterward.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Wow!...…….….My luck!

I also am curious of this wiring right now.

No kidding.

I have the old style dual sensor and all the connector ends are shot on wiring. The connector points on the dual sensors are fine. This all came up for me recently as I just did the brakes. Those old connections I had were probably marginally working but now that I disturbed them in the process of doing brakes they are shot.

I can find the barrel lug connectors. Not something I typically use but I'm sure I can find them.

You have a green wire and a brown wire at this location. What goes to what on the sensor?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The sensor is just a simple on/off float switch so polarity is not an issue. Green or brown can go to either terminal.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

acurtis wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:29 pm Makes perfect sense-
thanks

I fried my brake light switch( little wiring fire- could not really see to plug things in back there- I assume replacing it will require me to drain my reservoir( or make a mess) and bleed my brakes afterward.
You shouldn't need to drain the reservoir or bleed the system. Removing the brake light switch will cause some minor drips but will not drain the reservoir. A bit of air may get in but I have found it typically works it's way out through first use.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

pcolette wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 pm The sensor is just a simple on/off float switch so polarity is not an issue. Green or brown can go to either terminal.
Nice. Thx for that