New Headlamp bulbs

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ScottSVogel
United States of America

New Headlamp bulbs

Post by ScottSVogel »

Ok, this will probably sound a little lame, but how do I change the bulbs in my Pinzgauer 710 headlamps? I just ordered new ones from SAV that should be a lot brighter. I researched the 3-ring Pinzgauer manual that came with my rig, but of course, the page I need is missing.
Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.
Scott
pcolette
United States of America

Re: New Headlamp bulbs

Post by pcolette »

This is one of those projects that is easy once you know how to do it. The first one will take you "x" amount of time, the second will take 1/4 of "x". Interestingly enough my manual is also missing that page (section O, page 29).

First step is to remove the headlight trim ring. There is one screw on the underside that is at an upward angle. If original, you will need a long shaft flat blade screwdriver to remove it. Then, using both hands, grip the ring and slide it forward. The inside of the ring has a foam weatherstrip that helps grip it in place. The strip has probably deteriorated so it may be difficult to remove the ring. The trim ring is thin metal so use minimal force to avoid bending it. The foam weatherstrip is available at most hardware stores and should be replaced if needed.

Now you will see the headlight retaining ring. It is held in place by 3 small screws with flat blade heads. They are small and easy to lose. As you remove the final one the headlight is now able to fall forward so use caution.
The headlight reflector has a socket on the rear which holds the actual bulb in place. There are a couple of possible designs to the bulb socket and retainer but it should be fairly obvious how to remove it.

Re-assembly is just the reverse. A second set of hands might be helpful. Good luck!

ps: I realized that I assumed that you bought the bulb only but you may have ordered the complete reflector with new bulbs. If you bought the reflector and bulb it should be very similar and easy to install.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ScottSVogel
United States of America

Re: New Headlamp bulbs

Post by ScottSVogel »

Paul, thanks so much for your very detailed instructions. I had a heavy duty wench bumper fabricated for the front and barely had access to the screws at the bottom of the headlights, which is probably why I initially overlooked them.

Your right, once you learn the drill, the second should be easier....except for the rusted screws. Apparently, one of my headlight rings either broke, or was previously cut all the way across at the screw hole. I looked for new ones on SAV, but...$109 - damn! I guess I'll break out the J.B. Weld.

Thanks again!

Scott