Ignition Switch, Dash Wiring, and Electric Fuel Pump Woes

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
E_Swift

Ignition Switch, Dash Wiring, and Electric Fuel Pump Woes

Post by E_Swift »

When ignition switch is turned on, should all 7 terminals on the switch be at +24V? It really seems that way.

I have one terminal (I believe #15 based on the wiring diagram) that has continuity with ground when the switch is in either position.

I checked breaker #10 which it appears to serve and got continuity between both sides of the breaker.

So am I hunting for a wire that is shorted to ground or a component on this circuit that has failed?

I suppose, regardless, given that the ignition switch isn't energizing that terminal, that means it has failed internally?

I may as well mention, I have been having issues with these breakers opening, especially on warmer days. I replaced one circuit breaker (#12) a year ago or more and it has been trouble-free since. At this point, several breakers will not close even with battery master switch off, or will briefly close then pop up while still completely disconnected from power, so I have already determined these need to be replaced. I'll confirm again tomorrow, but despite these breaker issues, #10 seems to be closed. I wonder, if it failed/stuck closed on a circuit that had a ground short - is the ignition switch the next weakest link?

By the way, how does everyone work on the dash wiring? There doesn't seem to be enough slack, even with steering wheel removed, to flip the dash around or turn it enough to get probes or a screwdriver back there to loosen or tighten connections, etc.

Unfortunately, truck is in a very inconvenient spot right now (blocking daily drivers in long driveway) and won't start due to this issue... it has an electric fuel pump which PO wired in to the idle shutoff solenoids (which are on this "dead" circuit). If I can't figure this out, I will find a way to jumper fuel pump... anyone else have a better ignition-switched location they have tapped in for their electric fuel pump?
E_Swift

Re: Ignition Switch, Dash Wiring, and Electric Fuel Pump Woes

Post by E_Swift »

Figured it out. Wiper motor has an internal short. Seems to be that circuit breaker didn't open up properly and burned the trace inside the ignition switch for the smaller of two terminals labeled 15.