Battery install

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Battery install

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

I have seen all types of battery installs done on Pinzgauers and cant for the life of me figure out why nobody uses the right battery size? :roll: :idea:

So my batteries finally went out after 3+ years and it was time to install some GOOD batteries so here it is.

I still need to make some plastic spacer craddle blocks that will encompass the sides of the battery but I think this will work for now!

OPTIMA 31 GROUP part number D31T

About $300 per battery but the right replacement for the job RIGHT!!!

Image[/img]

This should be able to handle any winching or lighting needs and last for 5 to 8 years without problems!

Glynn
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

my yellows have been in my 712 for close to 4 years, no battery related issues to date. My 710 has red tops in (the way it was when I got it and they are 5 years old) with no battery related problems either.
Would appear battery size it more related to auxiliary use than requirements of the pinz engine to start and run.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

4x4Pinz wrote:my yellows have been in my 712 for close to 4 years, no battery related issues to date. My 710 has red tops in (the way it was when I got it and they are 5 years old) with no battery related problems either.
Would appear battery size it more related to auxiliary use than requirements of the pinz engine to start and run.
True on the "size" or capacity but this is the only Optima battery that is rated at both a starting battery and a deep cycle battery and the batteries that came out were group 31 size from the Swiss military SO Thats whats going back in - no need to scrimp - I want to be able to run stuff (winch and lights) and start the Pinz as well.

I dont think I will be having any problems with my batteries for a while - NEXT is the "house bank for the inverter to power the box!! LOL! :shock:

Glynn
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I can see the ambulance trucks being electric pigs. Sooo many options and a great platform to work with and perfect for solar panel installation.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I used four of the same Batteries. A little FYI. Fill up with gas let the wife smoke and drink a cup of coffee with the pinz off than try and restart with the A/C on you wont be going any where. :oops:

Also I replaced the wire from the disconnect.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Erik712m wrote:I used four of the same Batteries. A little FYI. Fill up with gas let the wife smoke and drink a cup of coffee with the pinz off than try and restart with the A/C on you wont be going any where. :oops:

Also I replaced the wire from the disconnect.
I plan on adding 4 Odyssey PC2150 batteries or 2 PC2250's for house power! Hooked up to my Xantrex ProSine 3.0 24 volt inverter and hooked to shoreline and solar as well as the Alt for recharging - The Xantrex is a charge controller while hooked up to shoreline and the solar will be charge controlled as well. House bank isolated from running batteries via REDARC SBI24 so I dont empty them all the way down!!!!

I dont know why you would run your AC off your running batteries - AC and house stuff should be powered off aux "HOUSE" battery power supply.

Glynn
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:
Erik712m wrote:
I dont know why you would run your AC off your running batteries - AC and house stuff should be powered off aux "HOUSE" battery power supply.

Glynn
Only reason I do is because I need every bit of space the pinz has and installing four more batteries is just out of the question. And It seems it takes for batteries to keep every thing going as I drive down the road. Also i'm trying to keep my weight down as much as possible.

If I had the Room for four more batteries I would be installing them.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Erik712m wrote:
ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:
Erik712m wrote:

Glynn
Only reason I do is because I need every bit of space the pinz has and installing four more batteries is just out of the question. And It seems it takes for batteries to keep every thing going as I drive down the road. Also i'm trying to keep my weight down as much as possible.

If I had the Room for four more batteries I would be installing them.

Have you done an alternator upgrade?
Plenty of room for 4 more batteries! If you wanted to you could remote mount 1 behind each tail light in a custom box - maybe 2 per side or like I am planing to do is just make the floor trough closest to the cab an area for the batteries!

What kind of AC are you running?

Pinz doesn't use JACK for electric so Im a little confussed how you are running down 4 group 31 TRUCK batteries so fast.

Glynn