Breaker #12 Popping

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
u352

Breaker #12 Popping

Post by u352 »

I have zero experience with breakers but my #12 keeps popping and it seems to affect my high beams. Ive looked at the electrical diagrams but would like to know if anyone else has dealt wit this issue or could give me some words of wisdom to help me solve the problem.
pcolette
United States of America

Breaker #12

Post by pcolette »

#12 is for the:
headlight relay, emergency flasher relay, diff/4x4 indicator lights

I'd check to see if the hot lead to the locker indicator lights has come loose or is worn thru. It is always live (+24v) so if it touches ground it will pop the breaker.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I've also seen the gasket around the headlight get brittle and broken and allow water to get in, which lead to poor connections within the headlights. Just a thought if they cause issues.
westernair
United States of America

Re: Breaker #12 Popping

Post by westernair »

I too am now having number 12 issues. Started today while just driving around. When it first happend I would reset it and it would stay working for a few minutes, then after getting home I poped the front dash pannel and looked over the wires I could see for breaks or disconnections. I had installed a wiper delay just yesterday and figured I might have pulled a wire loose. I didn't find anything obvious but fear they are related. Now after looking things over, as soon as I reset the breaker and the key is on, the breaker imediatly trips. Any ideas of what I should look at?
I did check the locker light wires, everything looks good there.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
u352

Post by u352 »

Shame of me to say but I havent fixed this yet-I have two breakers that I plan on installing to see if the breaker is just old(imagine that).

But it is related to the highbeams for sure
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Westernair,

Paul C. gave you the loads from that breaker. You're going to need to track those items down, and find out which one is causing trouble. Something's grounded.

I'd start at the blinker relay, because it's simple to get to, and prone to failure (though not in this manner, IIRC). Unplug the power to it, and see if the problem is resolved.

If it's in the locker lights, it's probably not post-indicator, since a ground there would likely light the indicator bulb effected (assuming bulb is good). I'd check the 24 v. going into those bulbs for being loose and grounded.

Then I'd pull the headlights out and see if they're ok, wire-wise.

That's where I'd start. Of course, it'll be something else... :roll:

u352,

Well, we weren't going to give you a hard time about being slow. Until you reminded us...

Ditto the advice on the headlights, if you're sure that's what is the culprit.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The breakers DO get flaky over time; I had #6 trip repeatedly, every few minutes. Easiest solution is to replace the breaker.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

undysworld wrote:Westernair,

Paul C. gave you the loads from that breaker. You're going to need to track those items down, and find out which one is causing trouble. Something's grounded.

I'd start at the blinker relay, because it's simple to get to, and prone to failure (though not in this manner, IIRC). Unplug the power to it, and see if the problem is resolved.

If it's in the locker lights, it's probably not post-indicator, since a ground there would likely light the indicator bulb effected (assuming bulb is good). I'd check the 24 v. going into those bulbs for being loose and grounded.

Then I'd pull the headlights out and see if they're ok, wire-wise.

That's where I'd start. Of course, it'll be something else... :roll:

u352,

Well, we weren't going to give you a hard time about being slow. Until you reminded us...

Ditto the advice on the headlights, if you're sure that's what is the culprit.
I will begin slowly going through each set of wires and check for faults. My headlights and e-flasher still work so I am not sure if they are on the same cercit. this seems to be the blinkers, and break lights.

Also anyone have a good wiring diagram, or know of one on line? the one I have is so small it is impossable to read without a magnifing glass...

Don't think it is the breaker it's self. when I push it in the dash and overhead lights dim for a secound before popping. I am pretty sure it is a grounding wire. Would love to be able to read that portion of the wire diagram so I could trace every wire involved.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Disregard the small wiring diagram, I found one in my Repair Manual, I had a loose one in my folder that was shrunk to fit on one 8.5x11 sheet and is useless.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

If you would like another schematic that's been cleaned up and enlarged, you can get one here:
>removed<
There's a link to the file at the bottom of the page. It's about a 6MB file if I remember.
Last edited by pcolette on Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

OK progress, started at the breaker, moved over to the monster light switch, down threw the flasher, to the switch behind the break master cylinder. The two prong switch back their seems to be the culprate. If I disconnect the wires the breaker quites popping. No break light if I do this though. To test the wires going back from this point I took and jumped them together to see the break lights come on. Yes they do and no more popping when doing this so I think I got it.
Now the question, is this switch a readly found part I can get at a Good Guys or do I need to order it from a Pinz part dealer?
Thanks
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Try disconnecting the items in the circuit 1 at a time till the breaker stops popping, accessory socket and switch, brake light switch and brake warning light, headlemp relay, and hazard switch.
I would start by pulling the brake lamp switch power wire first(the switch can melt and short internally).
It should be fairly easy to find the problem as it is consistant.
The switch is a NON TAPERED VW type for Golf/Rabbit.
It should be a straight thread and use a copper sealing washer.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

THANKS for the help, problem solved with the new switch. Wires were in good condition so I chose not to replace them.
2.5 hours of troubleshooting and then just an 8 dollar part.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold