Using 12v Viair Compressor with 24v Pinz

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Fleg wrote:Rather then believe what someone posts on a internet forum, I actually took my Fluke DMM to my Viair and confirmed, it is case isolated. Might want to check your source again.
My 24v 450c also has the case isolated from ground. Don’t know if the 12v Viair’s are isolated. Don’t know if isolation has changed from one production run to another.
:idea: Safest practice is to assume that they are not isolated.
I guess that if you wish to accept the added risks in taping the battery that is not grounded to the frame that’s up to you. :roll:

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Fleg,

I think we all agree, that we wish you the best with your compressor.

But I'm curious, because if you aren't going to "believe what someone posts on a internet forum", I'm not sure why you even joined up here, when you could obviously have solved the matter better yourself.

This entire thread reminds me of the quote, "It's better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt".

No doubt many of us have learned a great deal from your words.

Good luck to you and your Viair!

PU

ps. Speaking of moot and off-topic, of what relevance is the fact that your 24v Viair is case-grounded? The topic was the operation of a 12v Viair compressor!!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Not sure why you guys are stuck on the case being grounded easy enough to isolate it. But you're still going to have problems. With battery drain. Just make sure and take the wife and kids. When you use it the first time for any extended period. It's always fun hearing them bitch in the back ground see kids that's why I didn't want to take this piece of $hit. :lol: if the compressor draws as many amps as Jimm posted it won't take long my fuel pump only drew 5 amps and killed one battery in something like 1500 miles.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Fleg wrote: Rather then believe what someone posts on a internet forum, I actually took my Fluke DMM to my Viair and confirmed, it is case isolated. Might want to check your source again.
Yes, I concur about what someone write on a forum, that's why I talked to the tech support at Viair ( they would not say the case were isolated, but said they had cases of grounding to the housing... but they were more fixated on WHY any one would buy a 12v model instead of a 24v one???... I knew why, they couldn't understand it. they claimed the 24v models were only $12 more ( I haven't confirmed that)). Just because you didn't find grounding through the housing on your compressor, doesn't say anything for all of the others made.

I didn't have any desire to post in this thread , Jim M's reply was to the point and the safe assumption ( Ed restated it).
My problem came in when you said "100% incorrect and a lot of "if" statements"...... pretty ballsy to say that about an electrical engineer. Knowing how some people will use a reply from one thread for another application ( "close is good enough"). I and others here will post safety precautions. If you have a problem with that, you'll need to rethink your being here. Pinz owners come here to share and LEARN, and precautions and the reasons for them are part of it.
Pinzes are unique in so many more ways than obvious, that trying to explain why the engineers did something is important to know( or at least know about it).
Some very simple changes to the electrical can have dramatic affect later

Erik, Erik, Erik.... it was more about dismissing a true comment than a particular point... and people remember the last line posted.

BTW, your kids weren't talking about the Pinz... but you ! :wink: :lol: :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)