710 overcharging

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
SolarImages

710 overcharging

Post by SolarImages »

Hey all I have had my pinz for about two months now. When i got it they had just replaced the batteries with two marine grade deep-cell 12 volts. I just opened the hatch this morning on the hill to pull out one battery to jump another car. the cap on the first battery inline was laying in the bottom of the compartment and all the battery cells on both batteries were low on liquid (not below the lead). I filled both batteries with distilled water and replaced the caps drove about 26 miles to home opened the hatch the same cap was off again. From there i checked the liquids no visible loss. i did notice that the battery housing was slightly bulging. I then checked the amps being pushed into the bank it read over 30 at an idle after 10 minutes with a voltage rate of 28vdc. at this point i suspect the regulator is going bad? any thoughts?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy
#$%^...what a ride!
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Charging system spec is 28.8 max output.
You need to monitor voltage at road speed to determine overcharging.
It may just be your deep cycle batteries , also look at both sides of the red power wire at the MOLEX connector(remove front top engine tin to see)
If voltage exceeds 28.8VDC the regulator is faulty.
Batteries should be at least 650 CCA each.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
SolarImages

Over charge fixed

Post by SolarImages »

The issue ended up being the voltage regulator
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved
body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, holy
#$%^...what a ride!