solinoid adjustment

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Pinzgauer Pete

solinoid adjustment

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Bought a new starter solinoid and manual states that the clevis must be adjusted to 34+- Milimeters but cant seem to get to that adjustment. Is this adjustment with the solinoid retracted into the coil or is it when the solinoid is at its resting position without voltage applied? any help will be appreciated
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Try using some common sense here, pull the old one and match the lenth to the new one. Problem solved.

One last note, if you are repairing the starter because the starter spins but does not catch, then the starter drive(Bendix) is most likely bad not the solenoid.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

geez Jim...that was rough...actually the original solinoid in the truck was replaced with a new one...using the adjust to the one that came out specs...which gave me the same results as the original...which is...periodic no start condition without repeated starter button engagement...and no its not the puch button switch that has been replaced with new. I went back to basics and checked the manual which stated a 34 +- 1 MM but when I tried to adjust to this spec it seemed as though it cannot be done however if the solinoid is in the retracted position it may be possible to achieve that spec...and this is what I am asking

710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The illustration in the manual shows plunger retracted.
Not trying to be harsh , just to the point :shock:

You may wish to also check the starter brushes(click no spin), and ground circuits. I have also found unplugging and replugging in the harness connectors under the dash sometimes solve intermittent issues. Especially the harness with the fat red wires to the ignition and light switches(main power).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

But if you hear "click, spin, but no crank" I'd put good odds on the Bendix (from personal experience, as well as others). The solenoid is engaging the gears, but the bendix won't spin the starter pinion -- it's like the starter is in neutral.

Jim M.
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

No the starter bendix is fine and engages properly, the starter was disassembled and armature checked, brushes and brush holders checked, bendix checked ,bushings checked. My guess is that the previous owner may have fooled with the solinoid adjustment which I will verify tomorrow. If after the solinoid is verified for proper adjustment and the problem is not resolved, then I will check underdash wiring connectors, and possibly perform voltage drop tests.

710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

To make sure the starter is a Pinz starter, see if it is marked 1.3hp.
If it is 1 hp it may be a Unimog starter(a tad shorter nose than Pinz starter).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia