led turn signal resistor?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
michaelh712

led turn signal resistor?

Post by michaelh712 »

I installed new led's in the rear, AND new electronic flasher. The turn signals flash at hyper rate, extremely fast on and off. Do I need a resistor of some sort, or?
thanks
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

Typically if you still have the incandescent turn signal bulbs in the front there should be enough of a load to keep the flasher happy. I replaced the stock flasher with an electronic one, then later added LED taillights with no problems. Can you try temporarily wiring in your old taillights to see if the load is inadequate for the flasher?
Chris
'74 710K
krick3tt

LED turn signal resistor

Post by krick3tt »

I added LED tail lights to my Mog and tied them into the existing lights as the flasher would not 'read' the low voltage of the LED's.

Did the same on the pinz. They work fine with the existing lights and add a bit of visibility to the rear.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... MG3348.jpg
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Usually the LED lights draw such a small amount of current that they cannot "trip" the old style mechanical flashers (that is why they don't flash once you change to LEDs). Electronic ones typically do not have this issue. That means the electronic flasher should flash at a normal rate for LEDs or bulbs.

Either the flasher is defective, or possibly the wiring is incorrect and the flasher might be seeing an excessive amount of current (some wire, somewhere, might be shorting out - been there, done that, my error) and trying to shut down early to protect itself. Is the electronic flasher warm to the touch? They should stay stone cold. Can you measure the current through it? I would expect less than 2-3 amps, total (when current is flowing during your very short flash time). Can you try an different flasher?

Jim M.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jim,

Is it possible that a 12v flasher would give such symptoms, and that perhaps he simply got the wrong flasher? My gut guess is "no", but you're the guru here.

P
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

I did more or less the same as krick3tt except I used the endcaps from 4" black pipe to avoid having to cut a hole for the led unit. the video shows they flas just fine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agingman/4983435420/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agingman/4 ... otostream/
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Thanks guys,
I'll try some troubleshooting today.
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
michaelh712

Post by michaelh712 »

Thanks guys,
I'll try some troubleshooting today.
Michael
Michaelh712
michaelh@updc.org
Educational Anarchist
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

12v flasher fed 24v will flash VERY quickly, just as the flasing slows when your voltage drops.

Pick up a 24v flasher
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Is it possible that a 12v flasher would give such symptoms, and that perhaps he simply got the wrong flasher?
Duh, the possiblity of a 12V flasher hadn't crossed my mind! That would be a very likely scenario.

Jim M.