Battery won't hold a charge part 2

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Jackal80

Battery won't hold a charge part 2

Post by Jackal80 »

Thank you to all that responded to my last topic.
So I had the final test we did revealed that the molex connector was frayed (fixed now) so the alternator is now charging my 24 v battery however my 12 v battery is not charging so we tested the 24 v converter between the batteries and it's not sending any power to the 12v battery. Is the volt converter bad? Would that stop the 12 v battery from charging? Thanks for any help. I'm a pretty slow learner sorry!
Don't be afraid to do something completely Outrageous. 73 712m Tan, 73 712m Green
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Voltage converters usually are not battery chargers.
I would have to see the components and wiring to properly diagnose.
Stop by sometime and I can look at it.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Jackal, How many batteries do you have in your truck? Physically, how many? can you take a picture of them for us?

You should have 2. These batteries are 2, 12v batteries, arranged in a series configuration, which yields 24v. Even though there are 2 separate batteries, they system sees it as a single. There should be no 24v to 12v conversion needed to charge the second battery. In fact, trying to hook one up will cause damage.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)