Battery Relay Replacement?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Smiley

Battery Relay Replacement?

Post by Smiley »

I was looking to replace the original battery relay on my rig. Would any 24v high amp 4 prong relay work. I know they have OEM replacements but they are like $86. I found a 24v 40 amp relay for $4. Am I missing anything here? Thanks for any help.

Smiley
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'll stick my neck on the line and say yes, it will work. It's only a relay. The originals have a mounting bracket built in, which you'll have to get round but as long as it's well sealed you should be fine. You could even relocate it somewhere more accessible, I suppose!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will go ahead and order the cheaper relay and see how it works. I will plan to relocate it to and have it in an easy to reach and also check location. Will post back when I get it completed and let everyone know how it went.

Smiley
spandit

Post by spandit »

Need to change my relay too as it happens. According to http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/bypass_relay.html it's only a 20A one so yours will be more than adequate. In fact, I'm wondering whether with headlights on, Eberspächer running etc. the original one is powerful enough?
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)