Headlight earth

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

Headlight earth

Post by spandit »

Where do the headlights earth? There is a cable that goes to a rivet on the back of the headlight bowl but how does this earth to chassis? Through the fixing screws? Some of the worst wiring I've seen under there - no wonder my lights are pretty dim...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Do you mean ground?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Yeah. He means "ground". He ain't from around here. 8)

Spandit,

Sorry I cannot recall where the headlights get their "earth" (or ground for us U.S.'ers). When in doubt, I'd check the leads going to the bulbs for 24v. Any that don't have it, I'd check for continuity with vehicle earth. It seems unlikely that they rely on the screws, I'd think.

Check for voltage, and then find/create the ground, I guess.

I do recall a truck which had a bad gasket which allowed water to enter the light housing, and that caused contact problems.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

undysworld wrote:Yeah. He means "ground". He ain't from around here. 8)
Quite right mate, he’s from the land of Lucas, and is complaining about bad wiring? :lol:

Good old Lucas, horns that listen, headlights that cast shadows. Remember the advice of Joseph Lucas, don’t go out at night… and of course beer tastes better when you drink t warm.
Sorry, I guess I’ve owned too many British vehicles to consider the Pinzgauer to have generically bad wiring.

And a link for those who enjoy dark humor.. http://www.hermit.cc/mania/tmc/articles/lucas.htm

On a more serious note. Using your avatar as a clue I would be inclined to inspect for water related damage, clean all accessible electrical connections and attempt to return them to factory specification.

Ed

P.S any one want to buy my ’72 Triumph GT6 would make a good father son restoration project (needs full electrical system replaced).
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'm sure this wasn't factory original wiring! The headlights have been replaced since my swimming.

Speaking of Lucas, I saw a bottle of genuine Lucas smoke sell on eBay for quite a high price (very amusing description)

Sorry about the syntax, but don't you dare talk down our beer again - you Yanks can grill steak, build engines & construct themeparks where the staff actually smile but you can't brew for poop!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Uh - oh. Reading Robin's last paragraph, I sense a period of "International Rising Tension". Not another Cuban Crisis ! Sh*t "!

Dives behind sandbags !

NB. Scottish beer is pretty crap too, compared to the real English elixir of youth !!

Mike 712M
Ayrshire. (Until the locals with their funny accent, face paint and blokes in skirts find my address !)
spandit

Post by spandit »

Actually not sure whether our beer was being talked down now I re-read it!

Here's a link to the Lucas smoke... (and I agree that Lucas wiring is dreadful - most of my Pinzgauer wiring problems are due to former owners... and current owners...):

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

I actually mean't you (Robin) possibly upsetting the Yanks by saying their beer is poop.

Can't comment about their beer, as having never been across the pond. Cunard White Star say their weekly steamer service from Southampton has now stopped !!

Go on, tell me..... you can't get a steamer to any part of the British Empire anymore. Dammed poor show old boy !!

Another G&T ? Splendid what. Cheers ! See you at the club in Poona.

Mike
spandit

Post by spandit »

If any of our American cousins come over here I'd gladly buy them a beer, on the promise that they don't reciprocate if I go over there again!

Anyway, have cleaned up all the grounds/earths and have lost the mystery 5V at the fusebox, which is good. I was only getting 21V at the fusebox and the main earth strap from the switch to the chassis seemed to be responsible for most of that, so I've cleaned that too. Should get some decent brightness out of the headlights now!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Good news Robin. Keep every earth/ground connection clean, bright and slathered in Waxoyl afterwards. You've got to stop those pesky electrons from going walkabout. If it says 24 volts on the packet - accept nothing less !!! ha. ha.

Cheers.

Mike
712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

If any of our American cousins come over here I'd gladly buy them a beer, on the promise that they don't reciprocate if I go over there again!
A Beer?!?

Now you're getting chintzy about beers, and disrespecting our local brews too? You'd best be careful about what you offer. Somebody just might take you up on it.

And if you can honestly sit here and tell me that you don't like Lake Louie Brewery's Warped Speed Scottish Ale, then I'll eat my shorts.

Face it. Lucas Electric is solely responsible for you "island people" enjoying your beers warm. :lol: They deserve any crap they get. It gives you no cause to initiate beer wars.

Just the same, glad to hear you've found your truck's troubles.

Cheers,
Paul
spandit

Post by spandit »

Let's not fall out over this! I'm sure there are some great beers but all I've experienced is the Bud/Coors style which personally, I don't like. I'd buy any of you a pint of warm English beer so you can see what you're missing!!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
krick3tt

headlight earth

Post by krick3tt »

Not too sure about the beer but when I was in Hong Kong aboard the USS Kitty Hawk ('66 oh maybe even 67), I met a group of guys from the HMS Aisne that were very cool blokes. They came aboard our ship for the food and I went aboard their's for a grog ration. They got booze aboard ship...something we were not allowed. I know the Aisne was decommissioned back in the early '70's but still I remember those great fellas and how friendly I was treated.
If I was going to the UK this holiday instead of Italy, I'd take you up on that beer. The Brits are a great bunch of guys.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
spandit

Post by spandit »

I'd even think about trading our beer for some of your steaks... they can't cook it over here. A thick steak is about 1/2" thick in the UK and generally comes brown all the way through.

Most Americans I have met have been great people - there are exceptions both sides of the Atlantic!!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
kpoling
United States of America

Now American Beer ;)

Post by kpoling »

Hey Robin: I agree on the Bud / Coors. But here in Oregon we have a very large number of small craft brewery's. You can find just about any style of ale/beer/porter/etc. you like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Craft ... 8US%29.png

http://oregonbeer.org/

If you ever get to the west coast, try to visit the Portland, OR. area & try some!

Disclosure: I have no association with any brewery! :D
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016