Just installed a tacho/revcounter

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
spandit

Just installed a tacho/revcounter

Post by spandit »

Had a small revcounter lying about that I never fitted to my Land Rover so thought I'd see if it would work in the Pinz. It does! I took a 24V feed from the fusebox, through a KA7812 regulator to power the gauge & backlight. The green sense wire just plugs onto the flamethrower coil +ve. Works well & very steady needle. Don't know how accurate it is, mind but it's better than nothing!
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
cronapress
Great Britain

Re: Just installed a tacho/revcounter

Post by cronapress »

Might be an idea now you've got it installed, to briefly notch up the power to 4500rpm. See what happens to that rev overspeed warning light dooferiser thingy on the dashboard ?

I've never revved mine that high - yet. Not sure if the light comes on, engine cuts out or the boxing glove on the coiled up spring is released in your face ! :D

Mike.
spandit

Post by spandit »

Apparently the light is supposed to come on when you switch on the ignition but mine doesn't (I've checked the bulb)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Yes Robin. It lights up for the merest moment when you switch on. Blink and you've missed it - quite literally !! Just curious as to what actually happens post 4500 !!

Mike
spandit

Post by spandit »

When you switch on battery or ignition? Mine doesn't even flicker. Been chasing an intermittent electrical problem that was shutting off all the ignition switched circuits but think I've found the culprit - loose connection on the fusebox (not one of mine!). Had to take the wheel off to access it.

Ignition resistor gets hot, doesn't it? Found out that by poking around under the dash for the last 3 hours...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition