Starter issue solved

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Pinzgauer Pete

Starter issue solved

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Finally had some good weather, and a six pack to calm my nerves and diagnosed and repaired the electrical issue that has plagued my pinz since purchased, I was determined to get this issue resolved and make this vehicle somewhat reliable. I always had starting issues with it, but it always happened intermittantly and whenever I had the time to spend on diagnosis and repair would start normally and without issue, and wouldnt start when I was in the dark,on the trail,or at a restaurant. most of the time however repeated pressing of the starter switch would eventually get it to crank. I replaced the switch and the solinoid, and had the starter torn down by the local rebuilder who gave it a clean bill of health and gladly charged me 90 bucks for his time and a fresh coat of paint. Soon after the remounting the starter failed again and I was back to square one. So I did point to point wiring continuity wiring tests, voltage drop tests, checked my grounds and all connections, ran a new power wire all to no avail...I then removed the starter and removed the solinoid from the starter without dissassembling the remainder of the starter and found that the solinoid was not adjusted properly and the throw was too long. The solinoid should be adjusted to 34 +- 1 Millimeter and must be done with the plunger in the retracted position, from the mounting flange of the solinoid to the center of the pin running through the clevis. Putting the solinoid back into position is where the beers came in handy and was a challenge since you have to drop that clevis onto the actuating arm of the bendix, but after several attemps was correctly fitted. I rebuilt my clutch slave since I had the part and reinstalled all conponents. AS THE FRENCH WOULD SAY "VIOLA"...PROBLEM SOLVED...Thanks sunny day...and a special thanks to Sam Adams Lager :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
spandit

Re: Starter issue solved

Post by spandit »

I found it pretty difficult to remove the starter without taking off the oil filter or is there a better way? Glad you got it sorted - these sorts of intermittent problems are a pain
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Hi Robin..well actually the first time I removed the starter it perplexed me since I did not want to remove the clutch slave but the 19mm top starter bolt is tucked up in there and no socket of any kind could be used. I eventually borrowed a set of stubby wrenches, which I was able to finally remove the fastener however it took a while since there is a very small arc. Once the top nut is off and all the wiring to the solinoid as well, remove the oil level dipstick assembly then go to the bottom end remove the ground strap and securing nut pull the starter straight back off the studs and then tilt the ass end of the starter up. You will have to pivot it a bit to clear the solinoid from the bodyside but it will drop down. The second time I did this I removed the clutch slave since I was doing a rebuild anyway and the whole starter removal became easier since I could use an actual full size wrench removing the starter nuts, and they were now accessable. I still take issue to having to remove the slave so I am working on fabricating a tool that will reach that nut without slave removal...not that I will have to do it anytime soon...but I just hate removing ancillary parts not related to the problem if I dont have to.....cheers!

710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I took a box end 19mm wrench and bent the end 90 degrees so it would fit the starter nut without removing the slave or the filter; then put a pipe in the other end to get the leverage. It worked, but I bought a crowfoot wrench for the next time...
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Jimm391730 wrote:I took a box end 19mm wrench and bent the end 90 degrees so it would fit the starter nut without removing the slave or the filter; then put a pipe in the other end to get the leverage. It worked, but I bought a crowfoot wrench for the next time...
I was thinking on the same line Jim....and had a crows foot available at the the time however the one I had was so thick it would not fit on the nut and turn it off enough to be able to remove it with a finger, I would have ground it down to see if I could make it work but it was a borrowed tool.

710M