Starter Solenoid?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
loyalp
United States of America

Starter Solenoid?

Post by loyalp »

If I am just a getting a click without any starter motor activity, the best bet is solenoid trouble, right?
spandit

Re: Starter Solenoid?

Post by spandit »

Single click or multiple clicks? Latter could indicate low battery or bad connection to starter.

You could try manually shorting across the terminals, I think (bypass starter button) to see if that makes a difference

I don't know whether this type are prone to sticking but a gentle tap with a hammer on the end of the starter casing might jolt it free
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

in this order check....battery output .....then connections..starter button..then go to solinoid....then starter bendix....after that starter
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Check the following items: ground strap at starter loose or corroded, dirty or loose battery terminals, low voltage(below 22v). If those items check out ok then pull the starter and bench test it(put power to it) if the solenoid extends the bendix gear and power is coming out of the solenoid when activated , then the problem is most likely in the starter motor(stuck or worn brush and bushings).
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Thanks guys, so far... ground strap is solid, no jiggling, no corrosion, battery terminals - check, voltage reads 23.7, it's a single click every time i push the button.

Next step is bench testing. I fumbled with it for a bit, but am going to grab a cheap set of crow's foot wrenches before I mess up that top one real good.

One thing I just remembered was that over the past 6 months or so I did have the starter/solenoid not engage a few (maybe 4) times and would just get a whirring sound. Always when it was cold, and hitting the button a second time would always work.
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Finally got back to this project... and, uh, anyone have suggestions for that top nut?

I got a crow's foot on there and managed about a 1/4 turn. Now I have no more angles to get at that thing.

Is that the clutch line sitting right on top in my way?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Try removing the 2 13mm nuts from the slave cylinder and move it out of the way :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Well, I was being lazy and not removing the oil filter. Way easier job if you just yank that filter.

Anyway, now that it's off I'm getting absolutely nothing on the bench test. No click, no bendix movement. Still showing approx. 24 volts out of the batteries.

Solenoids seem like they might be hard to come by?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Bring your starter by and I may be able to fix it while you wait.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia